LA wildfires

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

LA wildfires

Post by pioneer98 »

LA is burning again. This one is bad. 200,000 people evacuated. One fire is near the Getty Center, which has tons of priceless works of art. The freeway near it is closed. This is a live video but you can scroll back to see earlier footage.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: LA wildfires

Post by Freed Roger »

This (and the Tennessee, and NorCal, Oregon etc etc fires) would be big national news in recent times, but now only seems to be momentarily or regionally newsworthy.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Just got a notification on my phone that former Cardinal Anthony Reyes is fighting the wildfires from the front lines. He became a firefighter (I think for LA county) a year or two ago after he retired from baseball.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

What a terrible thing to have to go through. Hope they get some help from the weather soon.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Freed Roger wrote:This (and the Tennessee, and NorCal, Oregon etc etc fires) would be big national news in recent times, but now only seems to be momentarily or regionally newsworthy.
It is nuts. There are like 5 burning just near LA

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Google now has a feature called "crisis map".

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-ventur ... %2C16%2C17

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

that helps put it in perspective. that is a massive amount in that ventura area. my brother and his family lived in nearby thousand oaks for a few years but have been in KC for the last 4 or 5.

its probably been seen but there was scary footage of people just driving on the highway but to the left (on screen) was just massive flames and smoke and the sky was an orange/red.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Was working with a group of firefighters from across the country this week up in Buffalo. Three of them are headed back to LA. They've got some long days ahead.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

wildfires

Post by Freed Roger »

I think this is the podcast I heard where they cover a controlled burn. Has to be proper conditions, but seems like it is pretty uneventful, and effective. Native Americans did it routinely or ritualistically. No idea how much they can do this near neighborhoods enough to make a dent.

I beleive they did one in Forest Park a couple years ago. Ran thru a control burn area on a few trail races.
http://outsideinradio.org/shows/2018/8/ ... ine-barren

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: wildfires

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Freed Roger wrote:I think this is the podcast I heard where they cover a controlled burn. Has to be proper conditions, but seems like it is pretty uneventful, and effective. Native Americans did it routinely or ritualistically. No idea how much they can do this near neighborhoods enough to make a dent.

I beleive they did one in Forest Park a couple years ago. Ran thru a control burn area on a few trail races.
http://outsideinradio.org/shows/2018/8/ ... ine-barren
Here in Ashland, they've been controlled burning for the last several years. And this past summer it paid dividends. The second week of July there was an electrical storm that started 70 small fires, several of which blew up into the major fires that burned for about 2 months. Though we had terrible air quality for that time, Ashland was spared fire because the starts from lightening in the forests around here didn't develop into long lasting fires.

As far as I'm concerned controlled burns have been proven effective.