Moviepass

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Moviepass

Post by Jocephus »

MoviePass Is Tracking Your Location Before and After Movies
https://lifehacker.com/moviepass-is-tra ... 1823549979

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

of course it is

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Now after checking in to your movie and buying your ticket you now have to take a picture of your ticket stub before it lets you check in to a movie for the next time. Too many people taking advantage of MP and buying stuff with the card other then just movie tickets.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

JoeMcKim wrote:Now after checking in to your movie and buying your ticket you now have to take a picture of your ticket stub before it lets you check in to a movie for the next time. Too many people taking advantage of MP and buying stuff with the card other then just movie tickets.
I had wondered if that was possible but never thought to actually try it. I mean, it's not that big of a hassle but I hate people who ruin something so simple so that now I'll have to take an extra step the next time I use the app.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

tlombard wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Now after checking in to your movie and buying your ticket you now have to take a picture of your ticket stub before it lets you check in to a movie for the next time. Too many people taking advantage of MP and buying stuff with the card other then just movie tickets.
I had wondered if that was possible but never thought to actually try it. I mean, it's not that big of a hassle but I hate people who ruin something so simple so that now I'll have to take an extra step the next time I use the app.
What were you able to buy with the pass beyond movie tickets?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Some were buying 3D or IMAX tickets, some were using it to check in to one movie and go see another, some were buying concessions or gift cards. Your card is loaded for about a half hour after you check in, so you might be able to use it elsewhere, I don't know.

I found out the AMCs in the Midwest are still good with moviepass, so I signed up, but it's still only one of many theaters I visit. Admittedly one time I used my pass to see a different movie by mistake when the one I checked in to only had seats open for the first two rows.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Some were buying 3D or IMAX tickets, some were using it to check in to one movie and go see another, some were buying concessions or gift cards. Your card is loaded for about a half hour after you check in, so you might be able to use it elsewhere, I don't know.

I found out the AMCs in the Midwest are still good with moviepass, so I signed up, but it's still only one of many theaters I visit. Admittedly one time I used my pass to see a different movie by mistake when the one I checked in to only had seats open for the first two rows.
Interesting. The website says it's only good for 2D movies, so I figured the process was handled this way:

1) Order/receive your physical MoviePass card in the mail
2) Go to desired theater and enter the ticketing line
3) Request a ticket for XYZ movie at whatever random time
4) When given a price for the ticket, present your MoviePass card instead of your normal method of payment
5) Ticketing agent scans your card to make sure it's still valid, and hands you your ticket for XYZ movie.

I would figure the ticketing agent would know what movies said MoviePass card was eligible for (i.e. no 3D or IMAX screens), and if the movie you desired was not eligible for it, they would either require an alternate form of payment or tell you you're only eligible to see the regular 2D version being played at a different time later in the day.

If that's not the case, how is the process handled?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Swirls wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:

Interesting. The website says it's only good for 2D movies, so I figured the process was handled this way:

4) When given a price for the ticket, present your MoviePass card instead of your normal method of payment
5) Ticketing agent scans your card to make sure it's still valid, and hands you your ticket for XYZ movie.

I would figure the ticketing agent would know what movies said MoviePass card was eligible for (i.e. no 3D or IMAX screens), and if the movie you desired was not eligible for it, they would either require an alternate form of payment or tell you you're only eligible to see the regular 2D version being played at a different time later in the day.

First step is right. But then you "check in" with the Moviepass app once you're within 100 yards of the theater. You pick both the movie and the showtime through the app. And you can only check in the day of, so I couldn't buy tickets for Friday if I wanted to right now.

Once you've checked in, your card is loaded with an amount I'm not sure of (I'm guessing $20 or whatever the maximum amount would be to see a 2D movie on the coast) and you have 30 minutes to buy your ticket. You can either go through the ticket agent or an automated kiosk and choose what movie you want to see--presumably, the one you checked in to. In my experience, some theaters have kiosks that aren't compliant, so you have to use the agent. Also in my experience, it's easier to go through the kiosk when you can because some workers still get fussy and/or confused by Moviepass, even though it looks like a normal credit card. That's it.

I wanted to go see Hostiles and checked in with the app, then decided once I got to the kiosk that I didn't like the remaining seats and bought a ticket for The Post. Forgot to remove myself from Hostiles, but the kiosk still took my Moviepass card without a problem.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Swirls wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:

First step is right. But then you "check in" with the Moviepass app once you're within 100 yards of the theater. You pick both the movie and the showtime through the app. And you can only check in the day of, so I couldn't buy tickets for Friday if I wanted to right now.

Once you've checked in, your card is loaded with an amount I'm not sure of (I'm guessing $20 or whatever the maximum amount would be to see a 2D movie on the coast) and you have 30 minutes to buy your ticket. You can either go through the ticket agent or an automated kiosk and choose what movie you want to see--presumably, the one you checked in to. In my experience, some theaters have kiosks that aren't compliant, so you have to use the agent. Also in my experience, it's easier to go through the kiosk when you can because some workers still get fussy and/or confused by Moviepass, even though it looks like a normal credit card. That's it.

I wanted to go see Hostiles and checked in with the app, then decided once I got to the kiosk that I didn't like the remaining seats and bought a ticket for The Post. Forgot to remove myself from Hostiles, but the kiosk still took my Moviepass card without a problem.
Ohhh, ok. It's interesting that the card gets physically loaded with money rather than credits for free movies. So basically people are checking in for a random movie, and instead of buying a ticket for the movie that they're checked in to, they're going to the concession stand and blowing it on a bunch of junk food?

Could you use that money at any retailer as long as you're paying for your goods within that 30 minute expiration?

A "free credits" system seems like a much better idea. That way whenever you present it at the kiosk or the ticketing agent, they could treat it like other coupons that that they accept for free movies or gift certificates or something.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Yeah, either food or gift cards. I have questions about whether it can be used at other retailers as well. One of the theaters I visit most frequently is in a mall next to a Target. It wouldn't be hard at all to check in, get loaded with whatever money you get, and hop over to Target to buy something if that's how it works. I haven't heard of it being used at different retailers, so I'm not entirely sure.

My initial thought when I signed up for it was a lot like what you were thinking. The only reason I can think is that Moviepass pays the theaters for every ticket it sells, so that might be why they can't do credits. Again, I'm not sure.