New TV

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

New TV

Post by heyzeus »

Looks like the ol' plasma screen is about to eat the big burrito in the sky. Anyone buy a new TV recently? What is the best bet, what should I be looking for, etc?

I'm no gamer, and don't need the latest/greatest/costliest high tech. I like watch sports and the kids need to see Daniel Tiger in the highest fidelity allowed by current science.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: New TV

Post by Jocephus »

i can't help other than to provide old late night with conan o'brien clips referencing when TV went to 16:9 ratio and HD

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

heyzeus wrote:Looks like the ol' plasma screen is about to eat the big burrito in the sky. Anyone buy a new TV recently? What is the best bet, what should I be looking for, etc?

I'm no gamer, and don't need the latest/greatest/costliest high tech. I like watch sports and the kids need to see Daniel Tiger in the highest fidelity allowed by current science.
I suggest starting out at RTINGS and narrowing your choices down until you find a few you want to compare.

Anecdotally, I have a Samsung JU7100 and the remote is a lot like a Wii remote from the original Wii. The smart TV functions are fairly snappy compared to other ones I've seen and the remote allows the kids to get onto Netflix and browse the shows super easy.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

TCL TVs which you can get on amazon are amazing bargains. I know several people that got them for Christmas and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. One buddy got a 45in for 299. It's 4k and the whole bit. Insane bargain.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

IMADreamer wrote:TCL TVs which you can get on amazon are amazing bargains. I know several people that got them for Christmas and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. One buddy got a 45in for 299. It's 4k and the whole bit. Insane bargain.
I have three of the Roku models ranging from 32-55" and they are great. I just bought another one for my mom and stepdad for xmas and they love it, or at least they tell me that they do.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

This site is for the uber-demanding TV enthusiast, but they know their stuff. That TCL for $650 looks like a steal. Anyway, their forums are loaded with info for all things home theater.

http://www.avsforum.com/best-tvs-2017/

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks peeps, I knew I could count on y’all.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'd monitor Slickdeals.net and find something interesting. All HDTVs are pretty pretty good now a days so I wouldn't get too concerned about tech specs.