No tipping restaurants

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

No tipping restaurants

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Just curious to gauge how everyone feels about them and how much of a price increase you'd be willing to incur to make the change.

I'm personally for it. I don't consider myself a bad tipper by any means, but even for exceptional service, the most I've ever tipped is probably 33%.

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: No tipping restaurants

Post by tlombard »

I would pay 25% more just to pick a number. I generally tip between 20-30% depending on the service. Really though, a lot of my tipping decisions come down to round numbers so if tipping an extra dollar to get to an even $30 instead of $29 then I do that so might end up tipping more than normal (never the other way though). No real reason other than some kind of mild OCD that I may have.

Honestly, I would really prefer a no tipping restaurant so I might even be willing to pay even a little more just to not deal with that (entirely perceived) pressure. I hate tipping not because of the actual money most of the time but is the person going to be happy with the tip? Is it too little?

But there are times when it does come down to money at more expensive places or especially cash bars. If I order a round of five over priced shots at $7 each, I hate tipping $7 when all the bartender did was grab five shot glasses and fill them from one bottle and then myself and a friend carry them back to the table.

The other time it really does come down to the money is cash only bars and transactions. How much do I tip each time? If a beer is $2.25 it seems like I should just let them keep the change that comes down to 30% tip which is OK. What do I do when the beer is $2 though. Tipping in change is for jerks. Tipping $1 per beer is too much over the course of a night. If I tip $1 over other beer, do they remember that I tipped the one before or do they think I'm a jerk for not tipping?

I realize that these issues are basically all in my head but tipping sucks and should be outlawed. At least it should not be mandatory to avoid being called a jerk and potentially causing a server or bartender to not even make minimum wage for their time serving you.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

There are some restaurants that tell you that if you tip; it will be given to charity because their employees are paid a decent wage. I don't care one way or the other really; I tend to tip about 25%; so I would be comfortable with that kind of mark up.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Typically I'm a good tipper, but I like the option to give a poor tip if the service is terrible.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

tlombard wrote:What do I do when the beer is $2 though. Tipping in change is for jerks. Tipping $1 per beer is too much over the course of a night. If I tip $1 over other beer, do they remember that I tipped the one before or do they think I'm a jerk for not tipping?
Who buys one beer at a time? Buy two and give em a $5. Or give a big tip up front and don't tip after.
Michael wrote:Typically I'm a good tipper, but I like the option to give a poor tip if the service is terrible.
I'd just be more likely to complain about bad service. I have to basically be insulted by a server to tip under 15%. I start at 20% and it's tough to get me down to even 15.

So markup everything 20% but that means management would need to be more diligent about getting rid of poor servers.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

vinsanity wrote:
tlombard wrote:What do I do when the beer is $2 though. Tipping in change is for jerks. Tipping $1 per beer is too much over the course of a night. If I tip $1 over other beer, do they remember that I tipped the one before or do they think I'm a jerk for not tipping?
Who buys one beer at a time? Buy two and give em a $5. Or give a big tip up front and don't tip after.
I normally don't tip until I pay the full tab; which is always more than 1.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Here's my concern with no tip restaurants. Are the waiters and waitresses really getting the extra money or is it just going to the owner? I also don't like places that split the tips up between all the wait staff.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Studies have shown that no-tipping restaurants won't stick, unless it's an industry-wide switch. Kitchen help ends up loving it, but wait staff move to restaurants that allow tipping.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:Studies have shown that no-tipping restaurants won't stick, unless it's an industry-wide switch. Kitchen help ends up loving it, but wait staff move to restaurants that allow tipping.

I think it might depend on how much the price increase is.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:Studies have shown that no-tipping restaurants won't stick, unless it's an industry-wide switch. Kitchen help ends up loving it, but wait staff move to restaurants that allow tipping.

I think it might depend on how much the price increase is.
You mean the wage increase?

I think the theory is that prices are increased to compensate for no-tipping, but then the extra revenue (from the price increase) is distributed to ALL employees (not just the wait staff). Seems fair, the the wait staff ends up taking a hit, because they don't get ALL of the tip money, like they had previously.