STL Contractors

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: STL Contractors

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Diddy wrote:I don’t know about buying the materials yourself. Any contractor worth a damn should’ve able to buy materials cheaper then you can.
You can use their discount and pay yourself. When we remodeled our bathroom this is the route we went. I went with him to Lowes, picked the stuff out, they gave him his discount, and I swiped the card. Even if they are ordering from a manufacturer, you can use your card there too.

ETA: If you don't pay for the materials yourself, make sure to get a receipt to pay instead of an invoice from the contractor to ensure any material discounts are passed down. EG, if you buy 500 tiles and the list price is $2/tile but the contractor gets it at $1.50/tile, that $250 savings should be passed on to you.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Diddy wrote:I don’t know about buying the materials yourself. Any contractor worth a damn should’ve able to buy materials cheaper then you can.
You can use their discount and pay yourself. When we remodeled our bathroom this is the route we went. I went with him to Lowes, picked the stuff out, they gave him his discount, and I swiped the card. Even if they are ordering from a manufacturer, you can use your card there too.

ETA: If you don't pay for the materials yourself, make sure to get a receipt to pay instead of an invoice from the contractor to ensure any material discounts are passed down. EG, if you buy 500 tiles and the list price is $2/tile but the contractor gets it at $1.50/tile, that $250 savings should be passed on to you.
That would be great but I’ve never known any contractors that would work that way. On your edit most contractors I know would split that $250 with you. They still save you some money but they get some also.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Diddy wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

That would be great but I’ve never known any contractors that would work that way. On your edit most contractors I know would split that $250 with you. They still save you some money but they get some also.
Huh, I've never known a contractor to not be agreeable to letting you buy the materials. Unless they're going to get money upfront to buy materials, they're going to reduce liability by not having to front the money. And, as mentioned previously, steer clear of contractors that require money upfront...

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Pay him in cash. That’ll get you a discount.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Huh, I've never known a contractor to not be agreeable to letting you buy the materials. Unless they're going to get money upfront to buy materials, they're going to reduce liability by not having to front the money. And, as mentioned previously, steer clear of contractors that require money upfront...
Most of them just want their cut, not that they have a problem with you paying for it.