Alamo Drafthouse and others coming to STL city foundry

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Alamo Drafthouse and others coming to STL city foundry

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:Time to get all "I'm kinda a big deal" on y'all. I'm friends (not besties, mind you) with the founder/owner of Alamo Drafthouse. And I'm good friends with some of their creative team. LOOK AT ME I AM IMPORTANT.

ANYWAY, you're gonna like it. Even though you're probably getting a watered down corporate franchise experience, it'll still be good. It's a movie theater run by movie and pop culture geeks. What that means is they put together clever film and video clips tailored to the movie you're about to see, they host screenings of interesting or cult movies, sometimes they do live events with directors or actors, and they have a no talking or texting during a movie policy that they strictly enforce. They will kick people out of the theater who violate it. That alone makes it worth going.

The food and drinks are ok and reasonably priced for movies, and their system of getting it out to your seat is pretty clever. Ordering a bucket of beers while watching a movie is particularly enjoyable. Often they'll have food and drink specials based on whatever big movie is showing, which is fun. And you reserve your seat when you buy tickets in advance online.
Damn, I wish I had known how important you were back when you came to Boulder. We could've wined and dined you guys instead of merely providing the generic brewpub experience.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Freed Roger wrote:A few more thoughts. Article mentions SLU has some control over nearby tax abatements. Does SLU pay taxes ? I'm guessing a lot of what they do is exempt. Nearby hospitals, under SLU - no property taxes. CORTEX, and IKEA? ...
Good post, sorry for acknowledging one part of it. The city is definitely hurt by so many non-profits occupying major real estate and putting heavy demand on city services. The Universities and hospitals are the main problem. This summer the Board of Aldermen proposed a bill that would uniquely tax non-profits to at least offset some of their high consumption of roads, police, etc. I can't remember if Krewson signed it. IIRC, some of the non-profits were actually on board with it.

Want to know what a city looks like when it bleeds residents and fills up with non-profits and tax subsidized retail islands? That's what St. Louis has been for a long time now. Thankfully there is momentum behind population growth and appropriately dealing with non-profits. The TIF situation still needs a lot of work, but at least we're demanding more mixed-use development in tax incentives while trying to get away from totally subsidized retail islands.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

heyzeus wrote:Time to get all "I'm kinda a big deal" on y'all. I'm friends (not besties, mind you) with the founder/owner of Alamo Drafthouse. And I'm good friends with some of their creative team. LOOK AT ME I AM IMPORTANT.

ANYWAY, you're gonna like it. Even though you're probably getting a watered down corporate franchise experience, it'll still be good. It's a movie theater run by movie and pop culture geeks. What that means is they put together clever film and video clips tailored to the movie you're about to see, they host screenings of interesting or cult movies, sometimes they do live events with directors or actors, and they have a no talking or texting during a movie policy that they strictly enforce. They will kick people out of the theater who violate it. That alone makes it worth going.

The food and drinks are ok and reasonably priced for movies, and their system of getting it out to your seat is pretty clever. Ordering a bucket of beers while watching a movie is particularly enjoyable. Often they'll have food and drink specials based on whatever big movie is showing, which is fun. And you reserve your seat when you buy tickets in advance online.
Tsk tsk heyzeus...

https://splinternews.com/alamo-drafthou ... 1822816916

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

at this point i just get home from work, sit, do nothing and wait for the next day

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

No lie, it's not good. The Leagues found themselves owners of a big company but made the mistake of not bringing in professional HR and employment law counsel to run it as such.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

https://www.stlmag.com/history/architec ... tatus-quo/
Did you write this Hoot?
Cherokee St largely organic growth (without much of the govt money the city doles out to developers in other places ).

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Freed Roger wrote:https://www.stlmag.com/history/architec ... tatus-quo/
Did you write this Hoot?
Cherokee St largely organic growth (without much of the govt money the city doles out to developers in other places ).
No but Chris, the author, is an acquaintance. It's sweet that Cherokee St is getting this sort of recognition. It's a cool story.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Drinking alcohol and watching movies has never been a combination that I need for my viewing experience. I like to be fully attentive to the movie and don't care if I have an $8 beer to drink, but that's just me.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

JoeMcKim wrote:Drinking alcohol and watching movies has never been a combination that I need for my viewing experience. I like to be fully attentive to the movie and don't care if I have an $8 beer to drink, but that's just me.
I agree with you but I still hit up the KC Drafthouse all the time because there damn sure ain't any other theaters around here screening Seven Samurai, or Brazil, or Heathers, etc. etc.