Cars cars cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Cars cars cars

Post by JCShutout »

Swirls wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:I sat in a yaris once. I could barely get in or out because it was cramped. Granted this was the first generation. Maybe it's better now?
No. It's not any better now. They're still about the same size as a SmartCar or a Fiat 500.
My Dad had a SmartCar. He said it had plenty of room for him at the elderly shrinking version of 6’5” he was at the time so maybe 6’3” 270.
Never saw him in it and he’s notoriously stubborn -back when was 6’5”+ 265ish he drove a Fiat Spider and it was ridiculous so take that fwiw.
But turn that SmartCar into a 4-door sedan and you now have a Toyota Yaris.
Got the hatchback version. I'm 6'3 210 or so and I don't feel cramped at all. Lots of room in the front. Backseat is probably cramped, but I don't drive from back so that's not a big concern for me.

Its grey/silver, and I think it looks like a star trek shuttle, so I named it Galileo III.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Hold on, you've got a SmartCar or a Yaris?

Mrs Mortimer, after driving an El Camino briefly in the late 70s, has no interest at all in our household becoming an El Camino household. Now, I'm not sure she'd divorce me over it, but she definitely wouldn't be happy. Might have to settle for something else, of a similar level of retro fun.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

El Camino's are awesome! They have to have the V8 and an obnoxious exhaust though.

As for the Smart Car, there is a guy who umpires in our softball league who drives one. He's 6'7" or so. He may be taller than that, I forget what he said. Somehow he fits in that thing without his head sticking out of the roof.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

If you were buying used round here, where would you go? I like George Weber, who advertises on FSMW, because he looks sad and it might be my car purchase that keeps him from ending it all. But I've no strong opinions. Any sales-places known to not rip you off or are they all about the same?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Famous Mortimer wrote:If you were buying used round here, where would you go? I like George Weber, who advertises on FSMW, because he looks sad and it might be my car purchase that keeps him from ending it all. But I've no strong opinions. Any sales-places known to not rip you off or are they all about the same?
They're all about the same. Everyone is trying to make a decent amount of money off of the cars that they buy and sell and they have some wiggle room on price. Be diligent, look at Carfax and KBB values, get a prepurchase inspection and be willing to walk away from any particular car if the price isn't right. But also, it's a car which is a depreciating asset that will cost you money to drive no matter what so don't go too insane worrying about a couple bucks here and there.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Famous Mortimer wrote:If you were buying used round here, where would you go? I like George Weber, who advertises on FSMW, because he looks sad and it might be my car purchase that keeps him from ending it all.
This legitimately made me laugh out loud when I just read it. That made my day a little brighter.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

tlombard wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:If you were buying used round here, where would you go? I like George Weber, who advertises on FSMW, because he looks sad and it might be my car purchase that keeps him from ending it all.
This legitimately made me laugh out loud when I just read it. That made my day a little brighter.
One of Mort's finer posts for sure. I love it.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'm looking at a new(ish) car. I've got 140K+ miles on my Escape already and want my kid (turning 16 in Nov.) to be able to drive it for a few years, so I am looking at a 2017 Murano S with 3,200 miles on it. Anyone here have one? I see lots of Rogues and Muranos on the road. They seem like really nice cars. Reviews all sound good.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, so, wrecked my new car this morning. It might be bad enough for them to total it. Suckage.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:Yeah, so, wrecked my new car this morning. It might be bad enough for them to total it. Suckage.
Holy crap. How?