Cars cars cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Cars cars cars

Post by GeddyWrox »

On a main road, group of us passing a cyclist. I glance at the cyclist on the way by. Look back, traffic is stopped. I stand on my brakes, they lock up, and I slide into the back of the car in front of me. She also nearly hit the car in front of her before stopping. My hitting her nudged her into the car in front of her. So my insurance is on the hook for three cars. Ugh.

The thing that is gnawing at me... I didn't feel any ABS action at all. None. I was extremely disappointed (obviously) with the way it handled (or didn't, rather).

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

This car was by far the nicest thing I'd ever bought myself. I'm just bummed beyond belief right now. If they total it, I'll be upside down (no gap insurance, seemed like a scam -- SMH).

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Man hate to hear that. Abs may not have kicked in,especially on dry pavement.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

[expletive], sorry. Glad you and yours are okay, though.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

GeddyWrox wrote:This car was by far the nicest thing I'd ever bought myself. I'm just bummed beyond belief right now. If they total it, I'll be upside down (no gap insurance, seemed like a scam -- SMH).
Sorry to hear that, man. Gap insurance sucks, but it's definitely worth it if you're a fair amount upside down on the loan (obviously hindsight being 20/20 and all that).

I posted my horror story on being upside down on an auto loan on here (6 year loan, 15% interest rate, dumb as f*ck 23 year old out of college). I did take out gap insurance on it, but luckily never had to use it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Geddy
Going forward, don't buy the gap insurance from a dealership. It is a rip-off.

But, find an auto insurance company that offers that coverage. For example, if you have your auto insurance with Esurance (an Allstate company), you can get coverage up to 125% for about $3.00 extra a month.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Geddy
Going forward, don't buy the gap insurance from a dealership. It is a rip-off.

But, find an auto insurance company that offers that coverage. For example, if you have your auto insurance with Esurance (an Allstate company), you can get coverage up to 125% for about $3.00 extra a month.
Thanks. Good info. Sigh.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

GeddyWrox wrote:Image

If that's a brand new car, I'd say it's probably not totaled but it's probably going to be close depending on the internals that got messed up. Did the airbag go off?

Btw, glad to hear you're ok.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

cardinalkarp wrote:If that's a brand new car, I'd say it's probably not totaled but it's probably going to be close depending on the internals that got messed up. Did the airbag go off?

Btw, glad to hear you're ok.
It had 3,000 miles on it when I bought it. So someone else paid most of the "new car markup". That might be what saves me from being in too bad of shape if they total it. Airbags did NOT go off. ABS also did nothing, but IMA seems to think that could be normal. IDK, the brakes felt weird to me. But I have no idea how to go about proving that they played a part in it.