Home Improvement Q&A

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Home Improvement Q&A

Post by G. Keenan »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:How many people here do have a Nest thermostat? My wife and I will probably make that one of the first upgrades in the house.

Installed mine today. Not difficult at all. It'll be neat to see the benefits.
Does your system have a humidifier? If so, were you able to get that hooked in too?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

G. Keenan wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:How many people here do have a Nest thermostat? My wife and I will probably make that one of the first upgrades in the house.

Installed mine today. Not difficult at all. It'll be neat to see the benefits.
Does your system have a humidifier? If so, were you able to get that hooked in too?

No humidifier.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

question for those that are handy when it comes to home improvement.

If the carpet where my carpet meets my hardwood flooring (entry way) is torn because i have a dumbass puppy that likes to chew up stuff like that, whats my resolve here?

Currently, there are exposed nails so it's a pretty big issue. i have a rug covering it up the area so no one steps on a nail, but that's obviously not a long term solution. I've hammered down some of the nails but for whatever reason i keep finding more so really the only solution is to get it fixed.

Would i be ok with just getting a carpet transition strip? is that something i just nail down over the gap and be done with it?

the long term goal to just eventually rip up all the carpeting and make it hardwood flooring, but that's not an expense im ready to take on just yet.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

A decent carpet guy should be able to patch it and make the seam pretty much invisible like the rest of the seams you can't really see in the room. Only issue is finding the matching carpet but worst case you can take it out of a closet or from underneath a permanent large piece of furniture or something, especially if you're planning on getting rid of it eventually.

Those little nails are a tack strip and there are hundreds of them on the perimeter of the carpet holding it in place.

Other options would be some sort of a transition strip but it would need to be wide to cover the damage and the carpet needs to be cut back potentially and stretched back on to a tack strip to keep it in place. You could also run a row of matching flooring perpendicular to the hardwood as a transition which is a nice look but again the same deal with the carpet.