Home Improvement Q&A

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Home Improvement Q&A

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:I have an outdoor ceiling fan. It seems mud dauber wasps built a nest somewhere deep within it, preventing the blades from rotating at more than like 1/10th of an mph. There also doesn't seem to be any easy way to take it apart enough to get to the interior and remove all of the nest. Any bright ideas?

https://www.ceilingfan.com/Default.asp

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

It's pretty obvious this is not a "man's man" sports message board.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I have an outdoor ceiling fan. It seems mud dauber wasps built a nest somewhere deep within it, preventing the blades from rotating at more than like 1/10th of an mph. There also doesn't seem to be any easy way to take it apart enough to get to the interior and remove all of the nest. Any bright ideas?

https://www.ceilingfan.com/Default.asp

To piggyback off CofSTL, hose that [expletive] down real good to get the mud and wasps out. Then throw it in the dumpster.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Going further on the bugs topic, what does everyone do about mosquitoes?

Our back yard used to be a mosquito mecca and I had to wear pants and long sleeve shirts to cut the grass. Part of the problem was the back yard had low points up near the house and water didn't have anywhere to drain. So, when doing the deck work, I went ahead and put in some drains which helped get the standing water out of there. Figured that would mostly solve the problem. Wrong.

Those little [expletive] were still everywhere. And, seeing as they love me, more work had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BhV-o77RqQ

This killed a bunch of them at first, but slowly either the population diminished or they became smart enough to avoid it and there were still enough to be bothersome. Then, I got some terminex mosquito spray which seemed to really help. We still have a few buzzing around and probably always will, but I'd say the numbers have been reduced by 90% or so which is nice especially since we mostly avoided using pesticides (not sure what exactly is in the terminex spray but it looks like they've got some chemical though less than the cutter, off, et al sprays).

Anybody have any better tips?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Going further on the bugs topic, what does everyone do about mosquitoes?

Our back yard used to be a mosquito mecca and I had to wear pants and long sleeve shirts to cut the grass. Part of the problem was the back yard had low points up near the house and water didn't have anywhere to drain. So, when doing the deck work, I went ahead and put in some drains which helped get the standing water out of there. Figured that would mostly solve the problem. Wrong.

Those little [expletive] were still everywhere. And, seeing as they love me, more work had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BhV-o77RqQ

This killed a bunch of them at first, but slowly either the population diminished or they became smart enough to avoid it and there were still enough to be bothersome. Then, I got some terminex mosquito spray which seemed to really help. We still have a few buzzing around and probably always will, but I'd say the numbers have been reduced by 90% or so which is nice especially since we mostly avoided using pesticides (not sure what exactly is in the terminex spray but it looks like they've got some chemical though less than the cutter, off, et al sprays).

Anybody have any better tips?
This reminded me of something I saw posted on the Facebook page for the lake I have my lot at. I have to admit that I fell for it all the way until the very end.
Punks...
I can't freakin' believe this!!! So you cowards think you're bad asses because 4 of you came at me and started [expletive]?? I still handled all of you, left one of you on the ground...slapped the piss out of one of you, and left blood everywhere, I just got out my boat and I got attacked.. big deal!! You're lucky I don't have any marks on my face!!! I have some on my arms, legs, and my neck but no big deal!! Bet you weren't thinking you would get what you deserved.
I hate mosquitos!!!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’m a mosquito magnet. It really sucks.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I’m a mosquito magnet. It really sucks.
I am too. And it does.

I just sent the longest, most condescending email ever to my local Home Depot.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I’m a mosquito magnet. It really sucks.
I am too. And it does.

I just sent the longest, most condescending email ever to my local Home Depot.
Not that I'm a HD lover, but what do they have to do with mosquito management.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Sand midges are a thing apparently. I came away from the beach relatively unscathed but they were a big fan of my gf.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:How many people here do have a Nest thermostat? My wife and I will probably make that one of the first upgrades in the house.

Installed mine today. Not difficult at all. It'll be neat to see the benefits.