What is your perception of wealth?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: What is your perception of wealth?

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Tim wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Michael wrote:
I know of a extremely wealthy person (think private jets)
I never really desired to be super wealthy. Then I had an opportunity to fly on our company jet.

Now I kinda want to be super wealthy.
I was like you

Then I went to Augusta National.
Heaven on earth eh? That one is still on my bucket list.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Michael wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:Rich people can buy boats and BMWs, have second homes, and go to Europe or Tahiti every year. That is definitely not us.
To piggyback on AD's reply - I have a nicer home and car than Warren Buffett, am I richer than him?

Again, there are no wrong answers. I just think the discussion is interesting.
michael is damn big baller lol

i know it's his home from forever ago, but buffett's house is still worth over $650K and has 6,570 sq ft and 5 bedrooms

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

For some reason I thought his house was worth like 250k. My condo is worth less than 650k

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

According to this:
http://graphics.stltoday.com/apps/payro ... sition/60/

If two teachers in the WG school district were married, they'd qualify as "rich" according to some of you all.

I don't think so.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

GeddyWrox wrote:According to this:

If two teachers in the WG school district were married, they'd qualify as "rich" according to some of you all.

I don't think so.
That seems to be because Webster Groves pays its teachers 70% more than those in the City of St Louis.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

As a reminder of just how wealthy the uber-wealthy are, if Buffet's house is worth $650,000, that's 0.00076% of his net worth. i.e. The equivalent of $7.60 to a person with a net worth of $1 million.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Arthur Dent wrote:

I don't think so.
That seems to be because Webster Groves pays its teachers 70% more than those in the City of St Louis.
It works in Lindbergh, Kirkwood, and a whole bunch of other districts too. The point is, two teachers salaries do not equate to being "rich". At least, I don't think so.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

GeddyWrox wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:

I don't think so.
It works in Lindbergh, Kirkwood, and a whole bunch of other districts too. The point is, two teachers salaries do not equate to being "rich". At least, I don't think so.
Well you have to be pretty well off to *live* in Webster Groves, so maybe this checks out.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I think it's important to keep in mind 140k is 2.5x what the average American household makes. That observation isn't about whatever label we assign to it or to shame higher earning households, but an acknowledgment of how challenging the average American family finances are. I suspect if you polled average American households and asked what making a 140k a year would mean to them I'm sure many would say they'd feel "rich" and that kind of money would open up a lot of opportunities for them and their children.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Popeye_Card wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:

I don't think so.
Well you have to be pretty well off to *live* in Webster Groves, so maybe this checks out.
a) you don’t have to live in WG to teach there and b) it is a town of varying economic demographics though decreasingly so

That said $140k annually is nothing to sneeze at. If my wife had a job that paid decently I’d be close. She doesn’t.