Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide

Post by lukethedrifter »

Socnorb11 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Is this an attempt to tie risk-taking with suicide?

No.

It feels like you're side-stepping suicide depression by recommending risk-taking. I'm not sure that's great advice.

I think he’s suggesting giving living the life you want to live a shot.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

No.

It feels like you're side-stepping suicide depression by recommending risk-taking. I'm not sure that's great advice.

Sure.

That's got nothing to do with depression OR suicide though, I don't think.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

No.

Sure.

That's got nothing to do with depression OR suicide though, I don't think.
Living the life you don’t want to live has nothing to do with depression?

Disagree

Edit to add: not the root or only cause but certainly can be a big factor

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Was Bourdain living the life that he wanted to live? It sure looked like it.

Again, and this is ONLY my opinion............ where we go and what we doesn't have a huge impact on living a life of fulfillment. I'm convinced that fulfillment comes from relationship. To repeat what I said earlier, I know people who are living their childhood dreams, but are never satisfied. I also know people who find ultimate satisfaction from simply spending time with their kids/grandkids, or wife. I know people that are filthy rich that can do damn near anything they want to, but they're miserable. I know people living paycheck to paycheck that can't afford to take risks, and they're very joyful. I'm not sure there's a connection.

Tim might be able to elaborate, or refute.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Bourdain apparently had addiction problems. Or so I here. . Not sure how we can go far beyond that in analyzing his lifestyle role in depression etal. Who is to say he was living right or wrong?
It is human nature to try to understand why someone dies.
It is strange- how we have to make sense of it, when we all die eventually. Suicide is sad, especially for family friends. But some things we'll never know here.

. And yes, you can live the life doing things you want AND have good fulfilling relationships. I hope the people i have relationships can do the same. For me they are intertwined - Fun and relationships.
Last edited by Freed Roger on June 13 18, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Socnorb11 wrote:

No.

I'm responding to the people on this site who are like "I'm old, it's over."

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Freed Roger wrote:Bourdain apparently had addiction problems. Or i think. Not sure how we can go far beyond that. And yes, you can live the life doing things you want AND have good fulfilling relationships. I hope the people i have relationships can do the same. For me they are intertwined. Fun and relationships.

For me, not so much.

Even when I do the things that I really enjoy (golf, go to a baseball game, travel a little bit, etc.), it's just "meh" unless I'm doing it with someone that I really enjoy. So yeah, I guess you can have fun without relationship........ but relationship takes it to another level entirely, for me.

Bourdain had struggled with relationship, I think (unless I'm remembering wrong). Maybe that was part of the issue?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Bourdain apparently had addiction problems. Or i think. Not sure how we can go far beyond that. And yes, you can live the life doing things you want AND have good fulfilling relationships. I hope the people i have relationships can do the same. For me they are intertwined. Fun and relationships.

For me, not so much.

Even when I do the things that I really enjoy (golf, go to a baseball game, travel a little bit, etc.), it's just "meh" unless I'm doing it with someone that I really enjoy. So yeah, I guess you can have fun without relationship........ but relationship takes it to another level entirely, for me.

Bourdain had struggled with relationship, I think (unless I'm remembering wrong). Maybe that was part of the issue?
RE Bourdain: how do you judge who struggles with relationships and who doesn't. What sort of norms apply? Life is always messy.

vacation with my family in a couple weeks - like I do every year, sometimes twice in a year, not counting daytrips or weekend jaunts. that's what I mean intertwined for me. Ballgames- always with family/friends. And we talk.

I have no issue or guilt whatsoever about doing something I enjoy without the family. Sometimes virtually alone. I run all the time, mostly alone. My family generally encourages it for me - they get it. It can be enlightening, or mindful, prayerful, take your pick.

If my kid goes and does some awesome journey without me, I'll be just as happy - because a part of me is there. My niece is a nurse. I get a kick out of it, hey she's in San Francisco. Hey, there she is in Iceland. O jeesh now she's in Cuba. Now she's a traveling nurse - first gig - Tahoe/Reno. She was in town recently. Healthier and happier than ever, knows she won't do this forever - but it works.

Anyhow seems like you are typecasting people that do what they enjoy as something extreme, like Hedonists. It rarely is that way. Not everybody is the trustafarians depicted on reality tv. Most have to balance out other things. And work. And pitch in when someone in family is ill or needs help. ... maybe I don't understand your premise. Doing something you like away from your base relationships - it is still intertwined with your relationships if it makes you happy/healthier individual. if you have to do something for work,,go to a ballgame, dinner with client, travel somewhere cool - I can understand it's not as good as with family/friends - but even there - make the most of it.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

pop_haines wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

No.

I'm responding to the people on this site who are like "I'm old, it's over."
Wait until you're my age The young are so supremely self-confident. Hey, I thought I was invincible when I was 20.

I don't walk with a cane because it's cool for school. I do it because I have to.
I'm 44, so if you're calling me young all I can say is: Wow, dude. Thank you SO much.

You were also an idiot at 20. So was I. We all were. The you that has 40 years of wisdom could do something that 20 year old you could not.

I refuse to believe in a reality that is anti- that statement. Be a shark. Move so you don't die.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’m so sorry to hear, pop.