Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
MAGA
All-Star

Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide

Post by MAGA »

He was 61. He had a 10 year old daughter.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Anthony Bourdain dead from apparent suicide

Post by ghostrunner »

Jesus. Seemed like a nice life from the outside, but who knows. He's an inspiration to a lot of people.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Wow. He's about the last guy I would expect to commit suicide.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Not sure if everyone knows who he is, but Rob Delaney's a comedian. Used to be big on Twitter. Has a great, funny show called Catastrophe on Amazon.

The first link here is really worth a read:
Fortunately, a tiny part of me recognized my thought process as “crazy.” I knew that if anyone other than me was describing these symptoms I would lovingly handcuff them and take them to the hospital and help the [expletive] out of them, whether they liked it or not. So I tried very hard to step out of myself and look at the situation with a modicum of objectivity and “imagine” that I was someone who deserved help.

Quite literally I thought, “I don’t think anyone else would shoot me with a shotgun, so maybe, temporarily, I’ll postpone that and try this Lexapro that everyone who knows me is recommending.”

It worked. It wasn’t magical, but it addressed some chemical issues in my brain that allowed me, gradually, to feel better and actually experience my life. I ate again, slept again, got boners when I encountered attractive women, and made normal number twos when I went to the bathroom. I didn’t and don’t feel euphoric all the time or anything. I still get angry, sad, and afraid sometimes. But I also get happy, excited, and horny too. I experience the full range of human emotions, rather than just one horrible one.
Just under eighteen months ago, after a couple of years of both my marriage and my decision to pursue comedy full-time, I experimented with a lower dose of medication and had another episode. It was as bad or worse than the first one, but thankfully I had some idea of how to deal with it. This episode drove home the knowledge that, like alchoholism, depression demands respect and attention. Whether it’s a “good” thing or a “bad” thing, I cannot pretend to know, but it exists and it can kill you dead.
My psychiatrist adjusted my dose and I got feeling better over time. If you know me personally, all this information may surprise you, as I think I generally have a pretty sunny demeanor. For most of my life, I’ve been a happy, optimistic guy. But for whatever reason, I’ve had depression of a serious, life-threatening nature rear its head a couple of times.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

I don’t see the stigma associated with mental illness around much anymore and I work with very low SES people who are typically lacking education. Treatment is everywhere. Even the NBA is doing mental-health awareness stuff. “Pull yourself out of your funk it ain’t that bad” people are like cigarette smokers. Strange, sad, and ultimately dying off really fast.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

MAGA wrote:I don’t see the stigma associated with mental illness around much anymore and I work with very low SES people who are typically lacking education. Treatment is everywhere. Even the NBA is doing mental-health awareness stuff. “Pull yourself out of your funk it ain’t that bad” people are like cigarette smokers. Strange, sad, and ultimately dying off really fast.
I’m a psychiatrist.
I respectfully disagree.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

This one [expletive] hurts. I've been traveling with him in my mind since I was 18. In moments when I was a lazy underachiever, I could still see the world. I learned so much about empathy, ignorance, and experience from his art. My point of view was shaped in part by his. I've traveled to far off places just to eat where he ate. I've had tangible experiences and imaginary experiences because of him. He showed me places I'd never been and new sides and depth to places I had.

I wasn't ready for the new journeys together to stop. In many ways, his daughter is extremely fortunate even though she lost him at 11. She will get to see and know her dad in ways that most of us don't get to, even when they're around until we have grand children of our own. Life is a mystery and so is death. I hope his last new journey was full of peace and not regret.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Tim wrote:
MAGA wrote:I don’t see the stigma associated with mental illness around much anymore and I work with very low SES people who are typically lacking education. Treatment is everywhere. Even the NBA is doing mental-health awareness stuff. “Pull yourself out of your funk it ain’t that bad” people are like cigarette smokers. Strange, sad, and ultimately dying off really fast.
I’m a psychiatrist.
I respectfully disagree.
In SC? Interesting.

I sometimes forget how good a writer Anthony was when his career shifted to video media. Kitchen Confidential inspired it’s fair share of culinary school applicants I think.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

MAGA wrote: In SC? Interesting.
Yes.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Tim wrote:
MAGA wrote: In SC? Interesting.
Yes.
I have some questions for ya. I’ll PM you.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=2s&v=bct8stbZafI

Here’s a clip of Bourdain visiting the Waffle House. He could really be pretentious about food like most modern hipster food enthusiasts, if he wanted to, (except he actually knows what he’s talking about and didn’t read two blogs and label himself an expert) but he never was.
Last edited by MAGA on June 8 18, 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.