The Great Mustard Debate of 2018

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

What is your favorite mustard?

Yellow
31%
Dijon (not DeJong)
15%
Spicy Brown
31%
German
8%
English
5%
Chinese (hot)
No votes
Honey
5%
I don't like mustard (INSANE!)
5%

Total votes: 39

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: The Great Mustard Debate of 2018

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:I guess I'm the only no here.

But...

no.
Grey Poupon silver spoon lawyer type

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

haltz wrote:You guys are all correct that it depends on the application, but let's say you have to choose one. I'm going spicy brown because it's the most versatile
This is going to sound super pretentious, but if I get just one it's Maille, and not the stuff on the shelves in the US but the stuff they sell in Paris. There's a Maille mustard boutique there--literally a mustard boutique you guys!!!--with all these mustards in jugs with little tappers and you walk around with these little pretzel sticks and try out all the mustard flavors and the Maille over there tastes like no mustard I've ever had here. Last time I was in France I brought 6 jars back. It's extraordinary mustard. Life changing mustard. As a fun destination the Maille mustard shop should be right up there with the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Quail and Pommes Puree at l'Atelier Robuchon.

The Maille stuff here is fine, but for mustard in the US if I only get one it's brown and it's good old Cleveland-Style Bertman's Original Ballpark Mustard. Don't be fooled by the imitation Stadium Mustard. The one that says Bertman's on the bottle is the truth.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

wart57 wrote:
Kiss my ass.

I like yellow mustard, but only a little on my dogs.

Yes, I put ketchup and mustard on my hot dogs.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

33anda3rd wrote:
haltz wrote:You guys are all correct that it depends on the application, but let's say you have to choose one. I'm going spicy brown because it's the most versatile
This is going to sound super pretentious, but if I get just one it's Maille, and not the stuff on the shelves in the US but the stuff they sell in Paris. There's a Maille mustard boutique there--literally a mustard boutique you guys!!!--with all these mustards in jugs with little tappers and you walk around with these little pretzel sticks and try out all the mustard flavors and the Maille over there tastes like no mustard I've ever had here. Last time I was in France I brought 6 jars back. It's extraordinary mustard. Life changing mustard. As a fun destination the Maille mustard shop should be right up there with the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Quail and Pommes Puree at l'Atelier Robuchon.

The Maille stuff here is fine, but for mustard in the US if I only get one it's brown and it's good old Cleveland-Style Bertman's Original Ballpark Mustard. Don't be fooled by the imitation Stadium Mustard. The one that says Bertman's on the bottle is the truth.
1st world problems...

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Kiss my ass.

I like yellow mustard, but only a little on my dogs.

Yes, I put ketchup and mustard on my hot dogs.
And dill pickle relish - none o' that sweet relish crap.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

10000000% correct. I could use it on a hot dog, sandwich, dipping sauce, whatever and be plenty happy.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

But...

no.
same...mustard is gross

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx wrote:

But...

no.
same...mustard is gross

Texicans are apparently anti mustard and anti American.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Texans are anti vinegar and pro pepper from my experience. Which is to say they are half right.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

We also have about 3-4 bottles in the fridge. Dijon, spicy brown, and yellow at the moment. With some packets of honey mustard from various fast food restaurants. My wife, as a hater of vinegar, does not understand the mustard nuances.