D.B. Cooper Solved?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

D.B. Cooper Solved?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I think I posted this somewhere on here. Maybe. Can't find it.

Regardless, there's a guy that's a bit of a loose cannon/controversial on youtube that mostly focuses on airplane/helicopter/parachuting topics. He's a pilot that, contrary to most everyone else, will take a look at a crash and immediately speculate on what caused it. Hence the name of his channel 'Probable Cause: Dan Gryder'. Very critical of how long it takes the NTSB, especially wrt the amateur/small aircraft community, to publish reports because if something is wrong, it needs to be addressed immediately to protect pilots. And, that's why he does what he does.

Anyway, apparently one of his hobbies is investigating DB Cooper. To save you 4 hours of watching, here's the tl;dw:
Video 1:
1. Richard McCoy's wife died a few years ago. Richard McCoy was shot/killed by the FBI decades ago.
2. Dan Gryder (youtuber featured) called McCoy's kids. And had done so a decade or so ago but they, at that time, weren't talking to anyone.
3. This time, they agreed to an interview and told Gryder their dad, Richard Floyd McCoy, was DB Cooper.
4. They go into detail about how it happened as best tehy can remember. Kind of lay out the background and fill in some of the story.
5. Basic Story is McCoy, a vietnam vet that flew planes, came home and couldn't get work/money. His plan was to hijack the plane with the threat of a bomb (accomplished), demand money (accomplished), demand a route that guaranteed he could parachute successfully and be picked up (accomplished), hold on to the money during parachuting/descent (failed). So he did it again in nearly the exact same manner except was able to hold onto the money/attach it to his rig, was caught/arrested, escaped jail, and subsequently killed. The last sentence is all true.

Video 2:
1. Gryder finds a modified parachute rig that exactly matches the parachute rig used in the DB Cooper case in McCoy's mother's basement?
2. They interview McCoy's jump instructor who has become convinced McCoy used the training as Cooper.
3. Nick Ohare (sp?) the FBI agent that killed McCoy says the FBI should close the investigation and name McCoy as DB Cooper.
4. The shootout/execution of McCoy is investigated and it looks pretty sus.

Multiple people/relatives have claimed they/their fam was DB Cooper. And, all have monetized the claim in some fashion. The McCoy kids haven't. Gryder's vids are not monetized on youtube and aside from production costs which I imagine Gryder covers, I don't think they've made a dime.

I have no way of verifying anything that is said is true, rather the people featured are actually mccoys kids, etc. I'm sure you could poke holes in the story if you cared to dissect them or know anything about the case. I don't have the ability to do so for lack of knowledge/caring. Gryder's anti-gov stance oozes through the video. So, take it with a grain of salt. But, of all the theories out there, this story makes a lot of sense. Not to mention McCoy was caught doing almost the exact same thing as Cooper. And, the sketch of Cooper could be a portrait of McCoy.

Who knows, but if the FBI agent working the case says it should be closed and McCoy should be named Cooper...I mean...that's a pretty ringing endorsement.

Anyway, here are the vids:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: D.B. Cooper Solved?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Wasn't this one debunked? Flight attendants who are still alive said it wasn't McCoy. Plus evidence he was at home with his family that day.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

99% sure it was Leroy

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 13 23, 11:03 am
Wasn't this one debunked? Flight attendants who are still alive said it wasn't McCoy. Plus evidence he was at home with his family that day.
Not sure, I don't follow the story much. The only reason this video even popped up is because I follow Gryder for his aviation videos.

Regarding his whereabouts, not sure what evidence exists he was home that day. At the time, his sister/his wife's sister told the FBI in a sworn deposition that they (Richard and Karen, his wife) were home. In the video above, she recants that and says they were away for 4 days.

Regarding eye witness testimony/identification, over the years it has come to be known as among the least reliable. And, that's before factoring in makeup/disguises/etc.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Was McCoy one of the guys featured in the Netflix and HBO docs a couple years ago? I’ll have to revisit which guy he was. Anyway, Im not far from where he landed, so please provide coordinates to the money. TIA.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
January 13 23, 11:54 am
Was McCoy one of the guys featured in the Netflix and HBO docs a couple years ago? Anyway, Im not far from where he landed, so please provide coordinates to the money.
Bottom of the columbia river depending on how well the bag has held up over the years. Better go get you a scuba mask.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

So the Columbia empties out in Astoria (which you all know from The Goonies). How far do you think I could get with a hoax pulling up ‘DB Cooper’s money’ in a crab pot somewhere between here and there? I think we should find out.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

January 13 23, 11:54 am
Was McCoy one of the guys featured in the Netflix and HBO docs a couple years ago? I’ll have to revisit which guy he was. Anyway, Im not far from where he landed, so please provide coordinates to the money. TIA.
Reading the OP is making me realize I retained 0% of that Netflix doc and I watched it in the last 9 months.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

January 13 23, 12:01 pm
So the Columbia empties out in Astoria (which you all know from The Goonies). How far do you think I could get with a hoax pulling up ‘DB Cooper’s money’ in a crab pot somewhere between here and there? I think we should find out.
You should go to Ariel, WA and check out that DB Cooper bar there. It's a trip. But it's fun.

The money was found right outside Vancouver on the Columbia banks. They say he couldn't hold onto the money and that's probably true. He probably never spent any of it, if he didn't die.

A crazy youtuber claiming "FBI Conspiracy" seems uh, not something to claim is any thing definitive, to say the least. This is a video of a guy talking to a camera in the dark with a lamp light.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I seen him at the airport.