Parking tickets

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Parking tickets

Post by go birds »

Question for the resident lawyers:

about a month ago, i parked in a handicap spot on a Premiere Parking lot outside my building for 5 minutes. That's not an exaggeration, no more than 5 minutes.

I know i know, i'm an asshat for parking in a handicapped spot, but it was pouring down rain and i had a dog in tow and had to unload luggage as well.

I wouldn't have parked there if:

1) there weren't two handicapped spots
2) the spots are literally *never* occupied other than by other people doing the same i think i was doing.

Ok, now that i've got that out of the way, does premiere parking have jurisdiction over that parking spot? It's my understanding that it's a civil violation and a private company cannot enforce that.

Am i just making this up?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Parking tickets

Post by JoeMcKim »

So glad I don't live or work downtown for reasons like this.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

So this is a private lot? I am assuming "Premiere Parking" is a company that owns the parking lot, and these are spots owned by the City or some other local governmental entity?

My usual caveat is that I'm only licensed to practice law in Texas, and I'm not a parking lot lawyer, and I'm definitely not your parking lot lawyer.

But in general, that is a "ticket" not in the traditional sense. It's like a fine from a private company. It can't count towards your driving record or anything. But if you park in their lot again, they might be able to tow or boot you if local law allows it. There's also the risk, however small, that they could turn it over to a collections agency. That would mean they probably assess an additional fee/penalty to you and it could have ramifications for your credit score.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Oddly enough I just happen to be a parking lot lawyer.

Many times a private company will contract with the local municipal police department to write tickets like this. I know most of the municipalities we represent do. Really no other way to enforce handicap parking violations on private property. And yes, you are an asshat for doing it, but I'll waive my fee anyway.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Oddly enough I just happen to be a parking lot lawyer.

Many times a private company will contract with the local municipal police department to write tickets like this. I know most of the municipalities we represent do. Really no other way to enforce handicap parking violations on private property. And yes, you are an asshat for doing it, but I'll waive my fee anyway.
That makes sense. But does it depend whether Go Birds' ticket was issued by a lot operator as opposed to the local PD?

Go Birds, Lipp and I will submit our invoices to you by the end of the month. Our rates are mildly reasonable, so don't worry.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

heyzeus wrote:So this is a private lot? I am assuming "Premiere Parking" is a company that owns the parking lot, and these are spots owned by the City or some other local governmental entity?

My usual caveat is that I'm only licensed to practice law in Texas, and I'm not a parking lot lawyer, and I'm definitely not your parking lot lawyer.

But in general, that is a "ticket" not in the traditional sense. It's like a fine from a private company. It can't count towards your driving record or anything. But if you park in their lot again, they might be able to tow or boot you if local law allows it. There's also the risk, however small, that they could turn it over to a collections agency. That would mean they probably assess an additional fee/penalty to you and it could have ramifications for your credit score.
well ok so here's all the details: It's a "private" lot owned by Premiere Parking (yes a company...like Parking Spot, etc). All the residents of the building i live in have decals so they are able to park in the lot, which was on my dash at the time of ticketing. So, i got a ticket for parking in a handicap spot by a parking lot attendant (employee of PP). Again im an asshat, but it was extenuating circumstances, so i was willing to take the moral hit.

i've gotten ticketed by them before and refused to pay the ticket and sure i got threatening letters from them but nothing ever happened--wasnt turned over to collections or anything. BUT, they will boot cars, so yes there is reason to pay the ticket if you frequent the lot.

Another detail i need to add is that i was in my parents car at the time (long story), so if it was my own vehicle, i wouldn't be sweating this, but they sent a letter to my parents house because their address is attached the license plate (obviously). I tried explaining to them that the company is predatory and uses scare tactics like that, but ultimately nothing will happen, but being old-fashioned and closed-minded they insist on me paying the ticket so they dont get sent to prison to 10 years.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

If it's not from the PD their only remedy is civil. If it is the lot for your apartment you might want to check your lease. Not following the rules and regulations or non-payment of fines is often a breach and grounds for lease termination (or gives them the right to boot). Obviously they can't evict your parents, but just a heads up for future tickets. I'd just pay it...karma and what not.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

How much is the ticket? You've already exceeded that in lawyer fees.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

heyzeus wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:Oddly enough I just happen to be a parking lot lawyer.

That makes sense. But does it depend whether Go Birds' ticket was issued by a lot operator as opposed to the local PD?

Go Birds, Lipp and I will submit our invoices to you by the end of the month. Our rates are mildly reasonable, so don't worry.
Please direct payment of my invoice to heyzeus. I will use that as a credit toward my monthly GRB fees.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

stlouie_lipp wrote:If it's not from the PD their only remedy is civil. If it is the lot for your apartment you might want to check your lease. Not following the rules and regulations or non-payment of fines is often a breach and grounds for lease termination (or gives them the right to boot). Obviously they can't evict your parents, but just a heads up for future tickets. I'd just pay it...karma and what not.

I don't think there is a contractual obligation to pay the ticket with as far as the lease is concerned. They aren't that savvy. Besides, I just moved out so good luck finding me suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean im gonna just pay the fine, but i feel like i have an argument here against paying it. It's just principle really. I'm trying to fight the good fight for the common man here.

Private corp's shouldn't feel entitled to enforce civil violations