Keeping a journal

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Re: Keeping a journal

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I keep a calendar of all the times I got drunk.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I keep a calendar of all the times I got drunk.
October 10, 2008: Beer worked well tonight.
October 11, 2008: Beer worked again.
October 12, 2008: Yep. Beer still a go-to.
October 13, 2008: What do you know? Vodka works even better than beer.
October 14, 2008: Thunderbird's not my first choice, but it works, too.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I just ask Squi what we did on a particular day.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

My browser history is all the journal anyone would ever want.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I don't keep a journal anymore, but I have at key times in my life--especially when I was depressed or stressed out. Writing before I went to bed really helped me express myself, put things in perspective, and calm down. It was immeasurably helpful. There's even a term for it: scriptotherapy.

My wife journals now for many of the same reasons.

Journaling can be whatever you want it to be. Quick notes about your day--not even complete sentences, but just notes of things that stood out, were memorable, things you want to keep in a kind of scrapbook for other writings or activities, things that bothered you, and so on. You can vent in a journal, too.

You don't have to think of a journal as a permanent record, either--but, of course, you can if you want. I wound up discarding mine because I dealt with my personal issues, and there were things in it that I didn't want others to see because I could be quite scathing. But my wife has kept really valuable records of my children's youth.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

sighyoung wrote:I don't keep a journal anymore, but I have at key times in my life--especially when I was depressed or stressed out. Writing before I went to bed really helped me express myself, put things in perspective, and calm down. It was immeasurably helpful. There's even a term for it: scriptotherapy.

My wife journals now for many of the same reasons.

Journaling can be whatever you want it to be. Quick notes about your day--not even complete sentences, but just notes of things that stood out, were memorable, things you want to keep in a kind of scrapbook for other writings or activities, things that bothered you, and so on. You can vent in a journal, too.

You don't have to think of a journal as a permanent record, either--but, of course, you can if you want. I wound up discarding mine because I dealt with my personal issues, and there were things in it that I didn't want others to see because I could be quite scathing. But my wife has kept really valuable records of my children's youth.
Sigh nails it again.....they are definitely therapeutic when dealing w/ difficult times in life.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I keep a prayer journal but I don't like doing it

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I started keeping a journal about 6 years ago. I don't write in it every day. I may only write in it once a week, sometimes even less. I write more often than that if I am stressed or depressed. As sigh said it may help you deal with a difficult time.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

haltz wrote:I just ask Squi what we did on a particular day.
Squi’s a busy guy.