New Job, Should I Take It?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: New Job, Should I Take It?

Post by Freed Roger »

Tough call. If the pay level is enough to be comfortable and have fun at either place, I wouldnt let the $ factor too much into decision, but that is me obviously.

Which has better setup to do enjoy the non-work.

I love the SW in general, but would miss the deep and varied woods and all the , lakes, streams etc, and all the seasons. Always a trade-off.

And are you going to have a firesale on that sweet camping rig? :wink:

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Holding a security clearance would be a great asset moving forward - especially in your industry. It insulates you from layoffs and qualifies you for many jobs that require a clearance to apply.

The Santa Fe area is similar in climate to Colorado. I loved the lack of humidity. It makes the summary heat bearable and winter snow light and fluffy.

Tough decision but don’t underestimate the value of a clearance.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

This is all great advice, thanks guys. The wife was fine with the move if the money was there. She's less receptive if it will be a pay cut, but acknowledged that staying where we are and making roughly 50-75% of my current salary isn't really ideal either. I could gut my 401k (and pay a boatload in penalties at the same time) in order to pay off all of our outstanding debt less the mortgage, and we could live fine if I was making half of my current salary. I'd rather not do that for obvious reasons, but it is always an option I suppose.

I spoke to a co-worker last night who is in Pittsburgh with me this week on a current work trip, and he had mentioned that he was also casually looking for jobs. The job market is actually more bleak than I had previously thought, as with plants slowly closing and construction having stopped on the new reactor builds down in Georgia/South Carolina, there are now way more jobs than openings. A lot of those workers were older semi-retired guys anyway who will just go back into retirement, but there will still be a lot of younger folk that are in search of full time gigs.

In the end, she agreed that if this is something I really want to do, she will support me 100% and make it work with the move. But we've also moved (for my job) twice now - once from New York to South Carolina, and then from South Carolina to Minnesota. I don't want her supporting the move but secretly resenting it deep down and wishing she was back in Minnesota. That wasn't the case for the last two moves, but right now it may be the case for this one.

I've still got a couple weeks to negotiate on the offer, so once I have some time tonight in the hotel room I'll discuss future options with the wife.

EDIT: grammar is hard
Last edited by Swirls on December 10 18, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Take a trip down to Santa Fe.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I would take the NM job.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'd be leaning heavily towards NM if I was in your shoes, too.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

After much deliberation, we decided our hearts weren't 100% into it, and decided to stay in Minnesota. I politely declined their offer and informed them that I couldn't in good faith negotiate a counter offer if we weren't completely on board in the first place.

Time will tell in the long run if it was the right decision, but at this point in time we felt it was the right decision for us. If I get laid off and my job goes away, then we'll figure something out (I'll hopefully find some way to stay in the nuclear industry, but if not, oh well).

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Good for you. You really seem to like where you're at.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Yep, sounds like you have a good set up where you are. Hope it continues for as long as you'd like.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I hope having that decision made is a relief. Good luck!