Cool surprise Christmas gifts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Cool surprise Christmas gifts

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Sister got me an immersion circulator (sous vide). Just did some NY strips, and holy [expletive], it's great. Amazingly foolproof.
Get yourself a Searzall torch attachment to obtain a nice crust.
That seems like a much better way. I opened up the doors and windows and tossed them on a cast iron while frantically fanning the smoke detectors.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Sister got me an immersion circulator (sous vide). Just did some NY strips, and holy [expletive], it's great. Amazingly foolproof.
That seems like a much better way. I opened up the doors and windows and tossed them on a cast iron while frantically fanning the smoke detectors.

Super hot cast iron with plenty of salt is a great way to finish sous vide or start pan searing a steak.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
haltz wrote:
Haha. I did the same thing the first time I used cast iron to sear sous vide steaks. I may have written it somewhere on here, but basically I put the stove on high and gave the skillet a good while to heat up. By the time I put the steaks on, the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector was going off. Not good.

I've always wanted a searzall because we mostly use sous vide for steaks and creme brulee, both of which need a searzall, but it's so infrequent I hesitate to buy products that have such a narrow use. So, I use the induction cooker to heat up the cast iron skillet outside and finish the steaks that way and the creme brulee is fine without caramelized sugar on top.

Also, I'd highly recommend making some creme brulee. 12 egg yolks, 3/4 cup of sugar, touch of salt whisked together. Then like 22oz of heavy whipping creme and maybe a tablespoon of vanilla extract maybe a little less depending on what you like. Mixed, strained and poured into some kerr jars. Sous vide at 180 degrees for an hour. After an hour, turn off the sous vide and put in a bunch of ice to cool down for 20 minutes or so. *Shannon voice* Mmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmMMMMMM Mmmmmm MMMMM

Barely tighten the lids or else the jars will break, fyi. I've broken a few of them. Not good. But, the creme brulee is awesome for how easy it is to make.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I've had delicious sous vide cheesecake as well.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

How is that I've never hear of sous vide cooking before? Looks like a no brainer and something I need to get.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

stlouie_lipp wrote:How is that I've never hear of sous vide cooking before? Looks like a no brainer and something I need to get.
Clearly not a Top Chef fan.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

thrill wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:How is that I've never hear of sous vide cooking before? Looks like a no brainer and something I need to get.
Clearly not a Top Chef fan.
I've never watched it. Which is odd because I like cooking shows.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Heavy sous vide action.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

haltz wrote:Anyway, I ended up with a planer. My neighbors are going to love me about as much as Dreamer's love him.

A bench top one like pictured? How effective are those?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

haltz wrote:I've had delicious sous vide cheesecake as well.
Cooked in a jar?