Hello from Pennsylvania, south central part

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania, south central part

Post by Corky »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Steelers fan?
No, actually an Eagles fan. Get to Philly for two games each year since my son has season tickets. I live in Chambersburg. Thanks for the welcomes.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Corky wrote:
No, actually an Eagles fan. Get to Philly for two games each year since my son has season tickets. I live in Chambersburg. Thanks for the welcomes.
I would have guessed Eagles bc you’re much closer. Which made me wonder, what is the dividing line for Phils/Pirates; Eagles/Steelers? Altoona? Harrisburg? The Appalachian Trail?

Corky

Post by Corky »

Radbird wrote:Corky, I noticed in your profile that you enjoy reading sports biographies.

Which ones are your favorites?
I tell you the one that really stands out, “The Last Boy”, Mickey Mantle and the end of America’s childhood, by Jane Leavy. The best, and it would take a lot to top it in my opinion. Won great reviews, she spent a lot of time interviewing him. You don’t have to be a Yankee fan to not be able to put it down. There have been other books about him but this one beats them all. A National best seller and won a few awards. I think she also wrote one about Sandy Koufax. It really lets you know about the Mick and who he was, on and off the field. Sad at times. I have read Willy Mays and a couple of others too. Two other outstanding baseball books are “The Boys of Summer” by Roger Kahn and “The Glory of Their Times” by Lawrence S. Ritter. So now to sum up, I am a Cardinals fan and a Yankees fan. I wish I still had all my baseball cards from 1957, including Mickey Mantle. They disappeared while I was in the Navy.

Corky

Post by Corky »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Corky wrote:
I would have guessed Eagles bc you’re much closer. Which made me wonder, what is the dividing line for Phils/Pirates; Eagles/Steelers? Altoona? Harrisburg? The Appalachian Trail?
Actually just about here in Franklin County as far as a fan base. There are some Eagles fans, but from what I have seen since moving here from Allentown in 2012, it seems like more Steelers fans. Then again you see a lot of Redskins and Ravens hats, jackets and stickers too. We are right near the Maryland border. Actually, I see more Pirates than Phillies stuff. Also a lot of Nationals fans here also. We are located just about half way between Philadelphia and Pittsburg. Probably closer to Philly. I spent my childhood in Lancaster County, Pa. I remember the old Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia very well. Then Veterans Stadium and now Citizens Bank Park. I believe that there is a city park now, where Connie Mack Stadium once stood.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Yes, she wrote “Sandy Koufax - A Lefty’s Legacy”. Enjoyed it.

I’ll have to pick up the Mantle book.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Corky, since you're in Pennsylvania, how did you become a Cardinals fan?

Corky

Post by Corky »

st.lewis11 wrote:Corky, since you're in Pennsylvania, how did you become a Cardinals fan?
I always liked the team for the players, the fans, (loyall through thick and thin, or so it seemed when I saw the stadium full) and I always thought the logo was the best in baseball. Plus until recently, you could always count on them being in the playoffs. Hope that changes for the better. I actually started out in 1954 liking and following the Yankees and collected all their baseball cards for years. Some got lost but my collection has gone to my son and grandkids. Granted, being from Pa. I attended some Phillies games, I just liked the game, and had a few Phillies hats through the years. But for years now, it’s been the Yankees in the American League and the Cardinals in the National.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Welcome Corky. I enjoy hearing these stories/perpectives about the golden age of baseball.

Who did you root for in 64?

Corky

Post by Corky »

Freed Roger wrote:Welcome Corky. I enjoy hearing these stories/perpectives about the golden age of baseball.

You mean the season of the great Phillies collapse? The Yankees. Thanks for the welcome.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Corky wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Welcome Corky. I enjoy hearing these stories/perpectives about the golden age of baseball.

You mean the season of the great Phillies collapse? The Yankees. Thanks for the welcome.
Cardinals in 7 <3

Welcome Corky