virtual reality headset

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

virtual reality headset

Post by go birds »

so this is random but i keep getting asked what i want for christmas and theres literally nothing i need...and i don't want clothes or shoes or anything of that nature.

I was thinking of some sort of fun gadget and saw a commercial for the oculus go and it looks pretty cool.

has anyone used on of these headsets? is it as cool as it looks? i reckon i could go try one out before i commit, but was just wondering if yall had used one before.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Re: virtual reality headset

Post by Schlich »

Its way cooler than it looks. I was shocked the first time i tried one.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I just have the basic Google Daydream headset for my Pixel and I really like it. I don't use it much because there isn't really a need but from time to time I'll grab it and be reminded of why I should use it more!

Some really cool things to see. There are apps where you can be a virtual tourist at famous sites around the world.

One of the first things I saw when I got mine was the warm ups before and NBA game. They set a camera filming in 360 degrees right on the baseline and recorded the entire thing. It was like you were standing right there. I hope eventually they start streaming actual games like that. I showed it to one friend and he started looking around and suddenly jumped saying, "Holy [expletive], there's a kid right next to me." He was so immersed with headphones in that he forgot it wasn't real for a moment.

It was also cool to watch replays of college football games where they had a 360 degree camera set up in different areas of the stadium so you could literally pick your seats to watch the game from. You could sit in the upper deck, in a suite at the 50 yard line, behind the end zones, etc. and then move from view to view whenever you wanted. That was really cool too.

I watched replays of boxing matches where it felt like you were standing in one of the corners. Those suffered from issues with being too close though because depending on where they were in the ring they could look normal or somewhat out of proportion when the camera didn't know what to do with them being right there and being picked up by too many of the lenses facing different directions.

Hulu, HBO Go and other streaming services have apps that basically let you watch like you are in a movie theater. With good headphones the experience is almost like having an entire theater to yourself. HBO's app even has rows of seats like a theater, a curtain around the screen, walls on the sides and a roof if you look up. Unfortunately for me they don't have a floor so one of the first times I used it to watch a movie and was lounging on the couch with my feet up I glanced down and literally grabbed the couch like my life depended on it. I felt like I was falling into nothing for a moment because after the 'seat' ended there was nothing but black!

I haven't played it in nearly two years but MLB has a home run derby app that was pretty cool too. With the Daydream you swing the controller like a bat while standing inside a stadium with a pitcher on the mound. I tried it with just standing normal and swinging my arm but eventually found that the best way was to literally stand like you are taking a real pitch and then swing with one arm (or two if you really want).

And I'm surprised that it hasn't come up yet but pron is, well, let's just say that I tried it once and will never try it again because I don't think I'd ever leave the house during the winter if the options were go out in the cold or that....

I haven't use the headset in probably a year. I should go back and check it out to see what's new actually. Live broadcasts of games would be amazing.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

tlombard wrote: Live broadcasts of games would be amazing.
thanks for the write-up lombard...the quote is what seems really appealing to me.

And i could see this as a very real possibility in the near future.

Would be really cool to watch cards games from the green seats! hell i'd prolly pay a premium price for a game or two.

speaking of that....I wonder if NFL or MLB teams see that as a revenue generator.

How cool would it be to game 7 of a world series from the front row without having to leave your living room?

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

I tried the newest HTC vive. To echo Schlich, it was shocking.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

go birds wrote:
tlombard wrote: Live broadcasts of games would be amazing.
thanks for the write-up lombard...the quote is what seems really appealing to me.

And i could see this as a very real possibility in the near future.

Would be really cool to watch cards games from the green seats! hell i'd prolly pay a premium price for a game or two.

speaking of that....I wonder if NFL or MLB teams see that as a revenue generator.

How cool would it be to game 7 of a world series from the front row without having to leave your living room?
That would be absolutely amazing. Or watching a Stanley Cup playoff game from right at center ice between the benches. Or any big game in any sport really!

I think that they have to realize the potential by now. The last time I tried to find anything NFL related it was just highlights where they had the special cameras next to the end zones so you could watch replays of touchdowns and goal line plays in VR but that was two years ago. Now that I had to ditch the Pixel because of the non-existent battery life, I can't even really check on what is available. My new Nokia isn't compatible with Daydream sadly.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

would you want to interact with deceased family members?
https://kotaku.com/mother-reunited-with ... 1841561725
Last week, a Korean TV special called Meeting You aired which focused on a family’s loss of their 7-year-old daughter. And in an unsettling finale, the program attempted to reunite the girl with her mother using a virtual reality recreation, complete with audio.

You can see it below. Not only was the girl fully replicated in 3D, able to move around and interact, but the mother was given touch-sensitive gloves to accompany her VR headset, and she was able to walk around a limited green-screen set.

Within the confines of this moment, these fleeting few minutes, I have no idea if this was an ultimately positive experience for this mother, and so I don’t want to speak for her personal feelings or try to imagine what she felt interacting like this. Being able to see her daughter one last time might help her in her grieving process. Having some code pretend to be a living thing that she loved might only add to the trauma. Only time, and research, will tell.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I don't think I'd like that. Just a little too creepy for my taste but then again, I'm not grieving the loss of a loved one so maybe I'd change my mind if I were in a different place.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Everytime I see this thread bumped I think we're getting spammed.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Mission accomplished