GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 19 19, 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Job search
PostPosted: January 9 19, 7:16 am 
Perennial All-Star

Michael wrote:
I'd start with email, particularly after only one week. Here's a good article on how the format should work.

FWIW, they recommend following up after 2 weeks.

Good luck!

I googled it and found basically the same article from another source. I guess GRB isn’t the end of the internet.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 8:54 am 
Everday Unicorn

GRB: Come for the baseball and fart suit jokes, stay for the life-affirming career advice from seasoned professionals.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 12:48 pm 
-go birds

I’m kinda in a similar situation though Ive already had two phone interviews so the next step would be an in-person. My last phone interview was two Friday’s ago and I was told by the guy (hiring manager who I would be reporting to) that i had a good background and would be a good fit. So basically the call was just to get a feel for my personality as we didn’t even discuss the actual role—but just shot the bull. The call went well so I thought for sure I’d be a shoe-in for an in-person.

Anyway—my question is, should I follow up? I haven’t heard back from him yet. Normally I would have written it off and moved on but it took them awhile to get back to me after the first interview so this almost seems standard.

Im not stressing either way because I’ve already got a great job with a great company and the only reason I applied for this position is because it’s in the entertainment industry. I’d be disappointed to not get it but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 1:55 pm 
gone fission

go birds wrote:
I’m kinda in a similar situation though Ive already had two phone interviews so the next step would be an in-person. My last phone interview was two Friday’s ago and I was told by the guy (hiring manager who I would be reporting to) that i had a good background and would be a good fit. So basically the call was just to get a feel for my personality as we didn’t even discuss the actual role—but just shot the bull. The call went well so I thought for sure I’d be a shoe-in for an in-person.

Anyway—my question is, should I follow up? I haven’t heard back from him yet. Normally I would have written it off and moved on but it took them awhile to get back to me after the first interview so this almost seems standard.

Im not stressing either way because I’ve already got a great job with a great company and the only reason I applied for this position is because it’s in the entertainment industry. I’d be disappointed to not get it but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Okay, something isn't right. You actually capitalized first words of sentences in that entire post. Who are you really and what have you done with the real go birds?

PostPosted: January 15 19, 3:59 pm 
All-Star

I work for St Louis County now, and while the pay isn't amazing, the jobs are solid. Apply, come work with me, so I'll have someone to talk baseball with.

PostPosted: January 18 19, 2:28 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Waited two weeks like everything suggested and sent a follow up email. Hopefully I’ll at least get a response that’s not an auto reply so I know the openings status.

PostPosted: January 19 19, 10:39 am 
All-Star

Diddy wrote:
Waited two weeks like everything suggested and sent a follow up email. Hopefully I’ll at least get a response that’s not an auto reply so I know the openings status.

Good luck. Some places seem to take a weirdly long time to reply, like they're sort of resentful at having to hire anyone. I'm one of the city's lists for a job, and they sent me a letter for an interview - which isn't for 3 weeks. Then, if they say yes, I'll have to do all the pre-employment tests and it'll be another two weeks for that. This position is open now, apparently, so I'm sorry for the people having to cover for this empty job for all this time.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 10:30 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Diddy wrote:

Hang in there man. That kind of thing happens a lot. I'm routinely shocked by how thoughtless people are when it comes to hiring. More often than not you will hear nothing back at all, not even an acknowledgement that they received your application. Sometimes you will even sit for an interview and then hear nothing back at all, not even an email to tell you they went with someone else.

I once interviewed with someone for like two hours and it seemed to all go well, only to never hear from them again. That job was whack anyway so it wasn't it big deal, but I think it would be common courtesy. It's just bizarre.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:28 pm 
Perennial All-Star

That’s what I don’t get. It takes 1 minute to respond to an email. Just a simple “we’re still taking applications” or “the position has been filled”. I feel like sometimes a company already plans to promote from within but has to post a position for so long before they can do so and the posting is just a formality that goes ignored. But seriously just let people know where they stand.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:41 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Diddy wrote:
That’s what I don’t get. It takes 1 minute to respond to an email. Just a simple “we’re still taking applications” or “the position has been filled”. I feel like sometimes a company already plans to promote from within but has to post a position for so long before they can do so and the posting is just a formality that goes ignored. But seriously just let people know where they stand.

I know. It's just a question of basic courtesy and as a job applicant its so frustrating to spend your time sending your applications out into a void. I think you're right about a lot of the listings just being a formality. They already have an internal candidate in mind but for HR or legal reasons they have to advertise the opening even though they have no intention of looking at other people's applications.