Job search

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Job search

Post by Diddy »

I’ve been keeping my eyes open and casually looking at employment opportunities. I’m really not sure what I’m looking for so it’s been hard. I was doing an internet search some something unrelated and came across an awesome opening. My experience farming and some of my other job history lines up extremely well with what they list as requirements. I feel that I’m possibly a little overqualified in some areas but a great fit. So I updated my resume and cover letter and applied.

That was last week. Other then getting an auto reply that they received my resume I haven’t heard anything from them. I’m curious how soon I should expect to hear something from them, and if I don’t if I should contact them and inquire at some point? I don’t think I’m there yet, I’m just curious what to expect. The job that I applied to was on LinkedIn if that makes a difference.

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Job search

Post by tlombard »

I haven't actively looked for a job since 1994 when I was 16 and had to quit my summer job at my uncle's factory because school was starting. I didn't even apply for my first position at the company I have worked for since 1997, a friend of the family asked me if I was interested in a summer job in shipping when I got back from my freshman year of college and then a week later called me to say that she set up an interview for me later that morning... and I had a new full time job that afternoon.

I have thought about seeing what else is out there and consider moving to another company because I know that I could make a lot more money out there with my experience (years of customer service both on the phones and in an analyst role, years of supply chain and now years of sales operations managing territory alignment and the commission process for our sales force)... but I really do like the company I work for and the people I work with so the decision to look elsewhere isn't easy. Money isn't everything.

I will be following this thread.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Most of the jobs I’ve had I’ve gotten because I knew someone. I wouldn’t say I got the job because I knew them, but I found out about the position by word of mouth. I’m just not sure how it all works with LinkedIn and such. The job I applied for said it had been posted 4 days. Does a company even seriously look at applicants before a certain time period?

My wife put her resume on LinkedIn and has an inbox full of job “offers” and recruiters. Does most hiring go through these recruiters now?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I would call them and just ask about the status of the application, pretty normal to make a call for an online-only application

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Schlich wrote:I would call them and just ask about the status of the application, pretty normal to make a call for an online-only application
Agree.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Michael wrote:
Schlich wrote:I would call them and just ask about the status of the application, pretty normal to make a call for an online-only application
Agree.
Agree.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

I’m not finding an HR phone number on the website. Should I send a email to the listed HR email or call the companies mainline and ask for HR?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'd start with email, particularly after only one week. Here's a good article on how the format should work.

FWIW, they recommend following up after 2 weeks.

Good luck!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Michael wrote:
Agree.
Agree.
We had a guy miss his ability to test for promotion- which can come around only every 5-8 years (pathetic, right?)- because he apparently didn’t hit submit. I’m no expert but seems like a follow up to make sure your app has been received is a good idea.