GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rowling vs Tolkien
Image 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Image 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Image 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 18
Author Message
PostPosted: January 16 19, 3:10 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: portlandbugle.com
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.


I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?

That was his best scene. His adoring looks at hobbits and loooong looks of concern basically throughout the rest of the movie left me rolling my eyes.


That's fair. The biggest knock on the movie is that Sam and Frodo never do make out. I guess in Middle Earth you look at your friends like you would a middle school crush.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 3:16 pm 
Online
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24786
Location: Lost
CardsofSTL wrote:
wart57 wrote:
The correct answer is Doctor Who.


eh


The books are better than the show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 3:18 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11488
Location: Austin
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
The biggest knock on the movie is that Sam and Frodo never do make out.

Lol. This should be its own thread.

Just learned that on DS9 Andrew Robinson played Garak as being in love with Bashir, and I am ashamed I didn't pick this up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 3:45 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 23198
Location: Columbus, OH
Arthur Dent wrote:

Just learned that on DS9 Andrew Robinson played Garak as being in love with Bashir, and I am ashamed I didn't pick this up.


I thought that was fairly common knowledge. Spin off threads imminent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 3:46 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 23198
Location: Columbus, OH
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
For the record, my take was concerning the books. The movies are a push to me. Some bad acting in HP but Ian McKellen overacted gandalf to the point of distraction if you ask me.


I want to argue. If you're dressed like a wizard and saying things like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to a 55 ft. Balrog, just how nuanced can you go?

That was his best scene. His adoring looks at hobbits and loooong looks of concern basically throughout the rest of the movie left me rolling my eyes.



Now you're saying Gandalf is a hobbitphile? This debate is getting heated... Heated I say!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 4:28 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11488
Location: Austin
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Also Sauron is Voldemort's daddy. Maybe there was a Sauron that Sauron was based on, but the character of Voldemort owes a good great deal to Sauron.

Sauron is hardly a character at all. He's sort of generically power hungry and evil -- it's the ring itself that's a much more compelling antagonist. Voldemort is similarly generic with slightly more character development in terms of childhood pathology and wizard racism.

Is that what you had in mind, or is there something I'm missing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 4:41 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: portlandbugle.com
Arthur Dent wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Also Sauron is Voldemort's daddy. Maybe there was a Sauron that Sauron was based on, but the character of Voldemort owes a good great deal to Sauron.

Sauron is hardly a character at all. He's sort of generically power hungry and evil -- it's the ring itself that's a much more compelling antagonist. Voldemort is similarly generic with slightly more character development in terms of childhood pathology and wizard racism.

Is that what you had in mind, or is there something I'm missing?


My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 4:45 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55569
there's that one flashback with elron and isildur that shows him (sauron) in "human" form with the ring on causin' havoc like a beast...though its obviously like, 10 secs compared to 9 hrs as an eye


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 5:05 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11488
Location: Austin
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.

Ah, good point, though I'm not sure I agree Sauron regaining a body would be an improvement. His existence as a force of will would be degraded if he became a guy who sits on a throne issuing orders and stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 6:27 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: portlandbugle.com
Arthur Dent wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
My point was more the supervillain with no body returning and progressively gaining power. LOTR is probably cooler if he gets a body at some point.

Ah, good point, though I'm not sure I agree Sauron regaining a body would be an improvement. His existence as a force of will would be degraded if he became a guy who sits on a throne issuing orders and stuff.


I don't remember if the scene Jocephus described was in the books (which I read after the movies, and frankly was often bored by). But that little bit would have paid off nicely in the movie, IMO. Though I can see your point too, where it diminishes his role as a power that moves through people.


I'm curious if fans would put GOT into this discussion. Way more explicit staturory rape and killing of everyone you even sort of had a fond impression of. (But I am serious).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group