The unpopular opinion thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: The unpopular opinion thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Corgis are stupid looking, and not in a cute way.

I don't get it at all.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Radbird wrote: This got lost in the NFL thread.
You like Stan? #unpopularopinion

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Corgis are stupid looking, and not in a cute way.

I don't get it at all.
All dogs are perfect.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I don't get it at all.
Seems like they always come in pairs-like the Redrum Twins of dogs.
And lots of labradoodles out there now. A paradox as a pet.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I don't get it at all.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Cinco De Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, Mardi Gras

Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Freed Roger wrote:Cinco De Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, Mardi Gras

Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest.
Hey now, I take that first one personally!!! I haven't been out for St. Patrick's Day in years. I actually skipped Mardi Gras for the first time in over a decade this year. But I will never miss celebrating a Cinco de Mayo. It is a completely BS day to celebrate but I feel like dumb Americans who love any excuse to drink made up Cinco de Mayo just for me.

Either way, it is almost always a nice spring day. Baseball season has started. The NHL playoffs are getting underway (hopefully with the Blues playing still). The Kentucky Derby is always either a couple of days before or after at the most. For those who play softball in the spring, the season has begun. The weather is just too iffy for the other two days mentioned. Baseball still isn't starting the regular season yet. Still a lot of hockey left. Other than the NCAA Tournament getting ready to start, there just isn't anything else big going on that overlaps with Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day. There is so much other stuff to be excited about at the beginning of May, it only seems appropriate to at least enjoy Cinco de Mayo a little in some capacity.

Cinco de Mayo is also my birthday which is why I feel so strongly about it. I'm selfish! Another bonus, the Cards and Cubs seem to play a LOT on Cinco de Mayo or at least right before or after. This year the Cards are in Chicago May 3,4 and 5.

Edit to add: Tacos. I'll take any excuse to eat tacos. Taco Tuesdays seems to be pretty popular these days and I normally get impatient for Tuesday and end up eating Tacos on Mondays instead!

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Lombard, I was wondering if you'd see that one. I almost left cinco de mayo out, because it is least dumb of the 3.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

It is probably the dumbest of reasons used to explain why it is a thing since the American version is completely wrong so it does deserve a spot on the list if I'm actually being honest and not just looking for something/anything to ramble on about.

At least St. Patrick was a person and the patron saint of Ireland. That reasoning makes total sense.

Mardi Gras, especially Fat Tuesday becoming a big thing makes sense for those who actually practice any particular denomination that observes Lent.

Cinco de Mayo on the other hand became a big thing because beer companies started promoting it back in the 80s because any "holiday" that is basically a day long drunk fest is great for business. So yeah, the "holiday" itself is probably the stupidest but the other factors around the day and time of year it is celebrated are at least better than the other two even if we're just talking weather.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I think bagels are terrible.