The unpopular opinion thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: The unpopular opinion thread

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
thrill wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i'd love to move to the PNW. some remote area. i know its all expensive up there though.
I stayed in Anacortes....that's a nice place.
Olympia has some higher ed and is cheaper than Seattle. I really like Idaho, which I guess is technically PNW. Some higher ed in Coeur d'Alene, which is idyllic as f.
Couer d'Alene has that beautiful lake but isn't it polluted AF?
There are some mercury issues that my sister told me about while pulling her 3 year old's sandy hands out of her mouth when I was there last summer. Doesn't seem to stop people from swimming and boating.
Cool...wouldn't stop me either. Mutations are hot.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
wart57 wrote:I am totally not shocked at the Oregon love expressed in the last few pages. I hear it is amazing.
It's awful. Fires in the summer that choke you, earnest hipsters in your face about it, and the dumbasses won't let you pump your own gas!

Y'all stay away. Trust me, you will HATE this god-forsaken place. HATE, HATE, HATE. You are much better off where you are. Just stay there.
My Grandma lives in Florence....it's a nice place if you are really old.

You'd probably like it Joe.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
wart57 wrote:I am totally not shocked at the Oregon love expressed in the last few pages. I hear it is amazing.
It's awful. Fires in the summer that choke you, earnest hipsters in your face about it, and the dumbasses won't let you pump your own gas!

Y'all stay away. Trust me, you will HATE this god-forsaken place. HATE, HATE, HATE. You are much better off where you are. Just stay there.
My Grandma lives in Florence....it's a nice place if you are really old.

You'd probably like it Joe.
Florence is nice, a beach and there's this little pla-

heeeyyyyyyyy.....

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Popeye_Card wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I don't like that craft beers have shifted quality imported beers off the shelves. Even in larger beer stores, you may have one small rack of Belgian beers, so that they can make room for entire aisles full of forgettable IPA's with funny names.
I really like beer. I dislike the current craft beer culture.
Big beer controls the shelves, you know.
I find that there are two options. Either the major breweries dominate the shelves (which yes, will sometimes include all of the various InBev brands from around the world) along with a spattering of Sam Adams and New Belgium, or it is just craft beers because they are pushing back against the big boys. I like stuff from all around the world. There are literally hundreds of beer styles. Why are there so many [expletive] IPA's?
Probably should move to beer talk.
I really like Ayinger. And some UK like Innis and Gunn (I like a bit of sweetness in dark beer).
Am developing taste for the saisons and belgian ales . but get confused looking at the imports- so I stick with Ommegang (domestic version). What you like as afar as imports?
As far as styles, I like Belgian brown/dubbel/tripel, German dopplebock/schwartzbier/kolsch/oktoberfest/dunkel/dunkelweizen. Many more common UK stouts/porters/browns are better than their "craft" counterparts in the US.

Mostly I just like the variety. Even with beers I really like, some days I'll love them and others they'll just be OK. My beer fridges* literally have dozens of beer styles stocked up, and usually I don't drink the same beer twice in a night (except for the beers on draft).

* For reference, I realized last year that I have beer stocked in 5 different fridges around my property, and when I counted I had over 200 cold beers, 2 1/6 bbl kegs, and about 100 more beers stored in the basement. I might have a problem.
I know where I’m headed when the revolution/apocalypse/rapture happens.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Also i love a nice Berliner Weiss. Some tasty sours out there.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Pacific City is my favorite right now. There's a brewery there too. And a campground with wild domestic bunnies hopping all over the place.

Been there too. Iconic. Busy on the food side of things, but you can get a sixer of good beer and head out to the beach, watch the surfers, wander up the dunes

I plan to take my daughter on college visit out there, lol. Yeh, a college visit tour ala LukeDrifter style.

To make it halfway plausible financially - would have to check out Lane Community College to start - an O U professor, a stranger, said great things about it as we drank a few beers. Blurb about 90 days to establish residency, not bad, unless there is some other residency criteria. Any insights?
Last edited by Freed Roger on January 31 19, 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Millenials have their issues but they tend to work their asses off. (for less pay)

The kids are alright. The vast majority of them are good people if you don't treat them like they are a problem.

Smartphones are garbage.

Pasta and bread aren't food. They are garbage.

Beer isn't that good.

Sugar really isn't worth it.

No one cares about your social media posts. (or baseball forum rants ;-P ... also, [expletive] emojis, they are trash) :-D

Just off the top of my head.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Hall of Fames are dumb.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

lukethedrifter wrote:Also i love a nice Berliner Weiss. Some tasty sours out there.
This was really becoming a strong preference for me before I lost my privileges.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

haltz wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Also i love a nice Berliner Weiss. Some tasty sours out there.
This was really becoming a strong preference for me before I lost my privileges.
Berliner weisses are fine, mit schuss as they are meant to be served. At least that’s a recognized style that is different without being over-the-top.

My bigger beef is all the weird craft sours. For instance, last spring I grabbed a six pack of a beer I thought was a vanilla brown ale. I was a bit iffy on vanilla in a brown, but I figured I would give it a shot. I missed that it also said “tart” on the label. That was some of the worst liquid I have ever placed in my mouth. Yet I’m guessing a bunch of craft beer nuts claim to love it, because it is a sour and all.

If you actually love that crap, I’m sorry I offended you. I don’t mean to poke fun at people born with hideously disfigured taste buds.