GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 12 19, 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: August 7 19, 12:18 pm 
99% conan clips

IMADreamer wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Tool is really over rated.

This is a good one but my question would be, are they popular enough to be overrated or just have a passionate following? I think Pink Floyd and Phish are overrated but I think Phish and Tool are closely related.

I'm not sure if this is 'unpopular' or not but I think Tom Brady is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the NFL. It should be noted overrated doesn't mean bad, it means people consistently rate higher than deserved.

That's a good question. I guess I've always thought they were popular just because I have several friends that love them. Maybe they aren't as big as I think though and if that's the case then you are right.

This all stems from a discussion last night with a friend who said Tool was inspired by King Crimson and that no one would know who King Crimson is without tool. Which I thought was insane. Although I realize King Crimson are hardly popular.

i also like tool too, generally. side note, i learned of king crimson from Les Claypool and i'm glad i got introduced to that great band.

love les' version of "thela hun ginjeet"

PostPosted: August 7 19, 12:43 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Popeye_Card wrote:
If you like to listen to Tool, that's cool. If you like to listen to the Beatles too, that's just as cool. You don't have to rate them against each other.

Fine with me if people want to worship Tool in the privacy of their own homes, just, yuck, don't go rubbing it in my face in public.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 12:59 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

People whose tastes I trust like Tool. I don’t have a clue what they sound like oddly enough. Big King Crimson fan though, for years. Really like Capt Beefheart. Zappa not so much; maybe the dumb lyrics.

Now back to you.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 1:05 pm 
99% conan clips

lukethedrifter wrote:
People whose tastes I trust like Tool. I don’t have a clue what they sound like oddly enough. Big King Crimson fan though, for years. Really like Capt Beefheart. Zappa not so much; maybe the dumb lyrics.

Now back to you.

i love, love zappa, including the goofy lyrics....but probably also a reason why primus/les claypool is my #1 musical influence. learned of beefheart from zappa and like the capt but not as much as frank.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 1:13 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Tool is basically prog metal, and it's more math prog than goofy prog.

So it's not super listenable to everyone (including me), but the musicianship is absolutely off the charts.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 1:19 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Absolutely. Imagine a basement college keg party with like 120 metalheads in all black with wallets on chains and really long unkempt hair but perfectly manicured soul patches drinking PBR out of solo cups and doing a synchronized head bob to music that alternates between really loud/heavy and kinda soft/heavy, and that's what Tool sounds like, done really really really well. With the occasional howl and machine gun drums. I'm listening to it right now, it's not bad.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 1:49 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

To piggyback a bit from an earlier post, The Doors [expletive] suck and Jim Morrison was a hack.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 1:50 pm 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: August 7 19, 2:00 pm 
Veteran Player

Experiment: eat anywhere between 3 and 5 grams of dried Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms (alternately, smoke a couple bowls of a high quality sativa), lie somewhere under the stars, away from people/cars/lights etc., put on a pair of quality headphones (good earbuds will work in a pinch), pull up the album Lateralus (now available on all streaming services), and let me know if the next 80 minutes doesn't change your life.

(Note: the aforementioned plants are in no way necessary to fully enjoy and appreciate said album, but this combination is guaranteed to take you to places you never imagined.)

PostPosted: August 7 19, 2:49 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Smith Corks One wrote:
Experiment: eat anywhere between 3 and 5 grams of dried Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms (alternately, smoke a couple bowls of a high quality sativa), lie somewhere under the stars, away from people/cars/lights etc., put on a pair of quality headphones (good earbuds will work in a pinch), pull up the album Lateralus (now available on all streaming services), and let me know if the next 80 minutes doesn't change your life.

(Note: the aforementioned plants are in no way necessary to fully enjoy and appreciate said album, but this combination is guaranteed to take you to places you never imagined.)

What are you trying to do to someone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next