Who will sit on the Iron Throne?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Who will sit on the Iron Throne?

Jon Snow
21%
Daenerys Targaryen
21%
The Night King
11%
Cersei Lannister
11%
Tyrion Lannister
11%
Sansa Stark
5%
Arya Stark
11%
Gendry
No votes
Robin Arryn
No votes
Mord the Gaelic (Eyrie jailer)
11%

Total votes: 19

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Who will sit on the Iron Throne?

Post by ghostrunner »

I came in wondering if I was over the show, and just got completely wrapped up in it again. Liked pretty much everything, even though there was some stuff last season I'd forgotten about annoyed me. Euron is a dumb character and almost none of what he does is that crucial or interesting. I forgot how he just saw the wight last year and then immediately got up and pretended to sail home, like he and Cersei had planned for that to be the impetus up all along, even though that clearly couldn't have been true.

Have to say the instant rescue of Yara would probably have bothered me more if I hadn't enjoyed the rest.

I miss when the show wasn't quite so action/setpiece heavy, even though I like that stuff too.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

There were a lot of really great, small beats. Jon has been in his own little world for a long time. Consumed by the coming doom and being horny for his aunt. Riding dragons. Giving dramatic speeches about why he bent the knee, etc. It was great for him to have a couple of reality checks from Sansa, Bran, and most significantly, Arya. There was real joy and love in their reunion but there was also a good reminder for him that he can get it in with Dany and live in that dragon-riding love bubble for the very, very near future, but she's got some real red flags when it comes to everyone other than him. Sam told him. Sansa told him. Arya told him. She has plenty of justifications for the people she's burned, but there is a real difference between her, a conqueror, and Jon, a servant leader, and they're not very good differences viewed through his moral code of honor. Now you throw the realization of who he actually is into the mix and I'm not sure how he handles it all.

And of course in the midst of all this, they've got hours, not days, until death comes. That should put everything nicely into perspective.

I was glad to see that Tyrion got over whatever weird vibe he was giving off in the season finale. I thought that was a dumb dead end to go down.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I still don't see how Sam and Bran being the source of Jon's lineage news plays out for the wider world. Ok, so his buddy read something and his brother had a vision. How do the people take that? At least in the books you have Howland Reed out there to say he saw it go down. Could in the show too I guess, but it seems way too late to introduce the older version of that character.

The fact that he's the legitimate heir seems beside the point anyway.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

That leads to a small complaint about the writing. Dragon rider lore is very well fleshed out in the canon. Dany would have been steeped in it for her entire upbringing through Viserys (who you'll recall knew all about it when telling a prostitute about it in the bath during season 1). Jon riding a dragon is the single biggest tip-off to his lineage that she could get. Bran's word, Sam's word, even Howland Reed's word could be lies, but the dragons don't lie and they don't bond with non-Valyrians.

But instead of realizing that the second he took flight, she just got super horny. That was his sword in the stone moment and approximately zero characters realized it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

In the end, it will be Varys or Theon. Maybe Brienne or Arya. Someone without balls.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I have varys as a darkhorse candidate in my pool

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

thrill wrote:That leads to a small complaint about the writing. Dragon rider lore is very well fleshed out in the canon. Dany would have been steeped in it for her entire upbringing through Viserys (who you'll recall knew all about it when telling a prostitute about it in the bath during season 1). Jon riding a dragon is the single biggest tip-off to his lineage that she could get. Bran's word, Sam's word, even Howland Reed's word could be lies, but the dragons don't lie and they don't bond with non-Valyrians.

But instead of realizing that the second he took flight, she just got super horny. That was his sword in the stone moment and approximately zero characters realized it.
Does the dragon rider lore extend to the Night King? If he was riding the un-dead dragon, does he have Targaryen blood? Or does the un-dead-ness nullify that?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i just assumed the night king controlled everything he rose from the dead

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Yeah, I think the controlling of the dead supercedes the Valyrian blood bond.

But that's so far ahead of anything George has covered in the ASOIAF series or any of his histories of the seven kingdoms that it could be a show-only invention. Who knows at this point? Not even George himself probably.

All I know is that I've read all of the canon and there isn't a single documented case of someone without Valyrian blood being able to ride a dragon and there are a bunch of cases where people without Valyrian ancestry tried and got fried and eaten. It is accepted science by all the maesters and what passes for scientists in Essos that it's a special thing that only people descended from Valyria with relatively pure blood can do, and at this point in history, so far removed from the Doom of Valyria, the only person with untainted Valyrian blood that anyone knew about was Dany.

It's very reasonable that she wouldn't make the connection that he's her brother's son, but it would be a very reasonable assumption that Ned Stark got it in with someone of recent Targaryen bastard lineage while he was out fighting Robert's Rebellion. No matter what the assumption she should have made is, it should have been a huge deal for her in ways other than how sexy and exciting she thought it was. Being so close to her in age, to have that much pure Valyrian blood, he'd have to be the child of either her mother, her father, or her older brother.

And maybe she did and the show is playing it coy. We'll see.
Last edited by thrill on April 16 19, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

is there any chance dany already knows about jon's parents?

Granted it would definitely make their steamy bone session extra weird if that's the case, but weren't the targs known for their incestuous ways?

(not a books reader)