VPNs and other tech stuff I don't understand

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

VPNs and other tech stuff I don't understand

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Does anyone use VPNs? I signed up for express vpn this morning and have already cancelled it. Youtube tv won't run off of of a vpn and there was something funky going on with amazon. So that was pretty useless. But, if you look online there are millions of articles about which vpn to get specifically to use with youtubetv. What a waste of time those articles are.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: VPNs and other tech stuff I don't understand

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I use NordVPN. Hypothetically, it might trick MLB.tv into thinking you're in Canada so you can watch games live without needing cable; it might also allow you to use torrents without getting nasty letters from your ISP. If you'd like any advice about it, I'm more than happy to discuss it in PMs.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Everyone should be using a VPN. You can even have your wireless router connected at all times so you don’t have to think about it.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I don't have any issues with express vpn with any streaming service. I just started using it this season after being fed up with Hola.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

hmmmm....i couldn't get youtuvetv to work with a vpn and did one of those chats on youtubes website where they specifically said you can't use a vpn. I said that sounds wrong and they verified vpns are prohibited. which sucks. I have no clue how to trick youtubetv into thinking I'm not using a trick IP address.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I've also heard that everyone should use a vpn and I've never had any ill effects from not. Not that those dangers don't exist, I just haven't had to deal with them as of yet.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

It one of those things where you’ll really wish you had, when you end up “needing it.”

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Do you notice much of a decrease in internet speed when using one? Our overall internet speed isn't super fast in the first place (11 Mbit DL / 2 Mbit UL) so that's always been part of my concern in using one - we already notice lagging at times when both my wife and I are using it up.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

YouTube TV support is definitely going to tell you that VPNs are not allowed/won't work, but that doesn't mean that they don't. However, unlike other apps where VPNs can be useful for bypassing geographic blackouts, they require you to login from your billing zip code every so often(maybe once every 30 days), so that's an extra hurdle you would have to jump through for them specifically.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Swirls wrote:Do you notice much of a decrease in internet speed when using one? Our overall internet speed isn't super fast in the first place (11 Mbit DL / 2 Mbit UL) so that's always been part of my concern in using one - we already notice lagging at times when both my wife and I are using it up.
It's going to affect your bandwidth for sure. The higher the security you choose in your VPN client settings, the more speed you'll lose. I probably lose 25% of my down speed.