Glasses for Softball/Sports in General

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Glasses for Softball/Sports in General

Post by tlombard »

After years of wearing contacts I decided to switch back to glasses last fall and realized with softball coming up, the glasses that I have probably aren't ideal for softball. I love them for every day wear but I'm afraid that with running around the bases and field, they will end up falling off and end up broken.

Thankfully I have plenty of money in my HSA and my eye insurance allows me to get really good deals on buying glasses online since I already have my prescription. Does anybody have any experience with playing sports in glasses, different styles of frames, features to look for, etc? The last time I wore glasses while playing sports was baseball when I was in high school but I had a pair of those super sweet Rec Specs back then. I don't want to go that route as an adult with so many other options to choose from that weren't available back then.

And those Rec Specs were so big that when I ended up as our starting catcher my senior year, I couldn't even wear them under the mask so I had to use my normal glasses on defense and then I could hit with my Rec Specs.

I'll close with an embarrassing story that I'm actually kind of proud of. I have hit with glasses once since HS and that was filling in for a fall league team with some friends. I came up with nobody out and the bases loaded... and proceeded to strike out. Completely whiffed on strike 3. The biggest problem was that all three base runners left the base when they thought I was going to make contact and in that league if you leave the base with no contact being made, you're out. Yes, I struck out into a triple play. I felt terrible and my friends just laughed and said that they knew the rule but left because they've never seen me swing and miss in all of the years I've played with them in another league so they didn't even consider the possibility that I needed time to adjust to the glasses at the plate. Striking out into a triple play has to be some kind of record right?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Glasses for Softball/Sports in General

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Yeah, I rocked those from sophomore to senior year in high school. Wish I had pictures from back then but my parents never came to any of my games and even if they did, they wouldn't have taken pictures most likely.

And before you guys tell me that my parents didn't love me, my games were all in the city or somewhere like Brentwood/Maplewood and I grew up in North County. With the games all starting at 3:30 or 4, they weren't making it there after work. But no, they probably don't love me either.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

don't get hard contacts....ever. Was struggling with the long short vision at work and eye doc talked me into them. I told them -i run sweat and spend loads of time outside. have work days where they need to be in for 16 hours. they didnt grasp my scenario.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I don't plan on going back to any contacts at all in the near future so I definitely won't get talked into hard ones. I don't think I could ever do those anyway. I still get queasy thinking about the time when I was a kid and a family friend's hard contact got wedged up in the top corner of her eye and seeing people trying to help her get it out and how uncomfortable she was. I'll just not see before I have that happen to me!

Thankfully I already have an up to date prescription so I don't have to go through an eye doctor for them to try and talk me into something like that. My vision coverage actually gives really good discounts on second pairs of glasses if you buy from one of their online partners where you just pop in your prescription and wait for them in the mail so I'm going to do that.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

during adaption process, i was getting them stuck in corner of my eyes for half hour and longer. I've had some sort of irritant find my way in while I was driving in major traffic eyes on fires hardly able to see.

Lost one down the drain somehow. Fell out when I was caaarefully taking them out or the night while I Was drunk and camping in Washington. rooted around in dirt for half hr before finding it on picnic table.

And as you may have noticed by all my typos , I can't see for shte.

Glasses, not really an option for daily wear. Again, I do [expletive] where I sweat profusely I have to take them off to read anything -even they are bifocals.

I am going back to disposable soft lense in May once my vision plan year turns.

the surgery- will see if Im even a candidate. have to get my kid thru college.

Yeah, they suck and thanks for listening to me [expletive].

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

[expletive] me, just called insurance and stuck with this [expletive] until August.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Ouch. I am going to hop online this afternoon and see what the offers are from my vision coverage and hopefully order a pair tonight.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I just walked through this process myself. I'm into martial arts where the likelihood of getting hit in the head is 100% at my skill level. So, typical glasses was not an option. I struggled when I tried contacts back in the day for softball, so I didn't want to go that route. I tried no glasses at all... and got hit in the head a lot because of it! Settled on these: https://safetygearpro.com/product-categ ... yeglasses/

They have lots of varieties, shapes, colors, etc. So far, I'm very impressed. Fogging can be a problem, so I'm looking into anti-fogging spray. Total cost with the lenses was under $100. They are padded around the eyebrows and are very comfortable to wear, considering they are safety glasses. For softball, where consistent impact is not nearly as likely, I think something more traditional might be good enough. Like these:

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Thanks for that link! I like the ones you went with and am buying the same pair for use as actual safety glasses for working on the boat, clearing growth/trees down at the lake and stuff like that. I couldn't use my insurance through there but the price is good enough that it doesn't matter.