GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 16 19, 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 16 19, 5:25 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 23177
Location: Columbus, OH
Image

https://www.distractify.com/p/new-jeopardy-champion-breaks-records

Quote:
Whether or not you follow Jeopardy!, you probably heard the news: The gameshow has a new all-star, and he officially holds the second highest winnings in the history of Jeopardy! after Ken Jennings. It also doesn't hurt that he's pretty adorable. The contestant's name is James Holzhauer, and Monday marks his eighth consecutive win on the show. Today's Jeopardy! winnings helped Holzhauer rack up a total of $460,479. In 2004, Ken Jennings ended up with $2,520,700 after winning 74 games in a row, and before Holzhauer, there was Dave Madden, who won $430,400 after 19 games in 2005. Still, Holzhauer is in awesome company — and it's not too late to beat Jennings' high score.



Have you guys heard about or seen this guy on Jeopardy? He's unstoppable.

Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 16 19, 10:35 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 17054
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
CardsofSTL wrote:
Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.

Who's hosting while he does chemo? Vanna White?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 1:13 am 
Offline
gone fission
User avatar

Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Posts: 7995
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Also it sucks that Alex Trebek has cancer.

Who's hosting while he does chemo? Vanna White?


He said he was going to finish this season before beginning treatment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 2:02 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Posts: 7168
Location: South County, St. Louis
I wonder if they're starting to make a short list of potential replacements for Trebeck. Since even if he somehow beats the cancer he'll still be close to 80 and it might be coming time to start thinking about the future of the show regardless. But those will be very big shoes to have to fill especially considering the circumstances of getting the job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 5:50 am 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55517
obligatory


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 6:32 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27142
I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

He's had amazing luck finding the daily doubles, makes big wagers on them, and usually nails them. He gets all 3 almost every game. Though a huge part of that is that he controls the board most of the game. I get the feeling that like Ken Jennings, he's a master of timing the buzzer. Plus he has a pretty wide range of knowledge, much like Jennings.

He's going to be tough to take down. He'll have to lose a couple big wagers on daily doubles and run up against a player who is equally good at the buzzer. Though last night he lost a $8400 "true daily double" in the first round, and still ended up with over $100,000 on the night. Insane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 6:41 am 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55517
one of conans writers was a 5 time jeopardy winner and thinks buzz skill is crucial


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 9:39 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Posts: 1250
Location: West Michigan
Popeye_Card wrote:
I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

He's had amazing luck finding the daily doubles, makes big wagers on them, and usually nails them. He gets all 3 almost every game. Though a huge part of that is that he controls the board most of the game. I get the feeling that like Ken Jennings, he's a master of timing the buzzer. Plus he has a pretty wide range of knowledge, much like Jennings.

He's going to be tough to take down. He'll have to lose a couple big wagers on daily doubles and run up against a player who is equally good at the buzzer. Though last night he lost a $8400 "true daily double" in the first round, and still ended up with over $100,000 on the night. Insane.

I thought your last paragraph almost verbatim after watching him last night. Dude is an absolute death machine.

I also agree that I'm not sure where the 'adorable' is coming from. He's fun as hell to watch, and it's cool that he's constantly paying tribute to people with wagers that match their birthdates, but 'adorable' is not a word I'd use on him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 11:41 am 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 23177
Location: Columbus, OH
ndistops wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I've been watching him, but the last thing I would call him is "adorable". He comes off as an arrogant a-hole who smiles like a robot which needs a squirt WD-40.

He's had amazing luck finding the daily doubles, makes big wagers on them, and usually nails them. He gets all 3 almost every game. Though a huge part of that is that he controls the board most of the game. I get the feeling that like Ken Jennings, he's a master of timing the buzzer. Plus he has a pretty wide range of knowledge, much like Jennings.

He's going to be tough to take down. He'll have to lose a couple big wagers on daily doubles and run up against a player who is equally good at the buzzer. Though last night he lost a $8400 "true daily double" in the first round, and still ended up with over $100,000 on the night. Insane.

I thought your last paragraph almost verbatim after watching him last night. Dude is an absolute death machine.

I also agree that I'm not sure where the 'adorable' is coming from. He's fun as hell to watch, and it's cool that he's constantly paying tribute to people with wagers that match their birthdates, but 'adorable' is not a word I'd use on him.


I was hoping someone would question the adorable comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeopardy
PostPosted: April 17 19, 5:58 pm 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: October 12 14, 9:37 pm
Posts: 1313
Location: Kansas
I had a friend in elementary school and junior high (I moved after that and we went to different high schools) who was in the Jeopardy Teen Tournament in 2012. Dude was a literal genius. I still talk to him once in a blue moon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group