The Rediscovering an Album From Your Youth Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: The Rediscovering an Album From Your Youth Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

Jim Carroll’s Dry Dreams would fit the Revisiting thread for me. Only had it on vinyl and haven’t heard it in years.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Marshall Crenshaw's Field Day. I owned his first two albums, but the second one was my favorite of the two. Both albums had problematic production--the eponymous debut has a really slick, echo-ey production, while Steve Lillywhite's production on Field Day created a rather distracting drum sound, but the quality of the songs really holds up nicely. I still have a soft spot for this one.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'll also throw in the English Beat compilation What Is Beat? It's the only album of theirs that I ever owned, never got a cd-version of it, but listened to it again a couple of nights ago and felt proud of my younger self.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

sighyoung wrote:I'll also throw in the English Beat compilation What Is Beat? It's the only album of theirs that I ever owned, never got a cd-version of it, but listened to it again a couple of nights ago and felt proud of my younger self.

English Beat was big at Webster Groves HS back in the early 80s. Saw them live at Graham Chapel. You weren’t there?

They are still in my rotation. Specials too. (Pre Our House, eg One Step Beyond) Madness a bit less so.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

lukethedrifter wrote:
sighyoung wrote:I'll also throw in the English Beat compilation What Is Beat? It's the only album of theirs that I ever owned, never got a cd-version of it, but listened to it again a couple of nights ago and felt proud of my younger self.

English Beat was big at Webster Groves HS back in the early 80s. Saw them live at Graham Chapel. You weren’t there?

They are still in my rotation. Specials too. (Pre Our House, eg One Step Beyond) Madness a bit less so.
No, I missed them at Graham Chapel. I missed General Public, too, which was the first band to play at the (then) new athletic facilities. Evidently, the concert was an echoing mess.

I was more mobile near the end of my stay at Wash U. Saw the Hoodoo Gurus and Love Tractor at Mallinckrodt (Katrina and the Waves was supposed to come, right when they were on the verge of a big record deal, but they got stopped at the Canada border). Also saw R.E.M. and the dB's at Graham Chapel.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I always enjoy reading the various music threads. This one has been particularly good. Listening to the playlist has been fun - a lot of new music to me. For someone my age, there are a lot of albums/groups/songs that I hadn’t heard about until you guys discussed them.

One example is an album Tim mentioned a while back: Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop by STP. Had never heard of it. Only knew STP based on what was on the radio - Interstate Love Song and Vasoline. Tiny Music is now in my library and rotation. I’ve gained an appreciation for rap and hip hop that I didn’t have before (although TBH I’m not totally there yet...)

So thanks GRB. Your rediscovered albums were discoveries for me and I appreciate it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Schoolin' with the Skalars, by Isaac Green & the Skalars. It's a great album by a great St. Louis ska band!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

A call-out to a couple of collections from Throbbing Lobster Records that were sent to the Washington University radio station, KWUR, when I was a dj there. Albums like these were a great way to listen to an array of groups--none of whom made it big. But I played three or four of these songs on the air, and it's nice to listen to because you can pretty much guess who the big influences were on college radio in 1984.

I didn't like this album as much, but it did contain Actual Size's song "Doctor Clown," a song dear to my heart because it's the only song I know that consists entirely of corny doctor jokes.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

This wasn't an album, but a single that I played a lot at KWUR during my garage-band phase. The b-side, "I'm Rode Out" is even better, but I can't locate it online.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:- Dr. Dre: The Chronic
- U2: Achtung Baby
- Pink Floyd: Division Bell
- Pearl Jam: Ten
- Guns N Roses: Use Your Illusion I and II
- Metallica: Black Album

Achtung Baby holds up