GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 19 19, 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Dorian
PostPosted: September 5 19, 9:25 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

heyzeus wrote:
Beware of political forum seepage.

Oops. I think there’s a parallel thread there i should have posted that in

PostPosted: September 5 19, 12:26 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Regarding the political angle, I will just say that I'm surprised and saddened that what Trump did (and it's laughably ridiculous, agreed) is getting equal or more attention than the fact that an inhabited island of roughly 400K acres basically was reduced to 100K acres overnight (albeit temporarily), and along with the flooding was the strongest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history stalling over the island for 30ish hours destroying ... everything.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 5:39 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Tim, hope everything is good in Charleston.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 8:26 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

lukethedrifter wrote:

Was thinking about him too. Hope our homie is escaping the worst there. Check in when you have a chance, Tim.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 8:29 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

G. Keenan wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

Was thinking about him too. Hope our homie is escaping the worst there. Check in when you have a chance, Tim.

It’s not like Tim to miss the beginning of college football season. You are missed, Tim.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 9:50 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Regarding the political angle, I will just say that I'm surprised and saddened that what Trump did (and it's laughably ridiculous, agreed) is getting equal or more attention than the fact that an inhabited island of roughly 400K acres basically was reduced to 100K acres overnight (albeit temporarily), and along with the flooding was the strongest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history stalling over the island for 30ish hours destroying ... everything.

I don't know what is surprising about it at all. He overtook Hurricane Maria coverage too. making it all about him -going so far as to dispute the death toll of 2,000 US citizens. He and his team still lie about the recovery efforts

It is absurd that it has to be this way, a non-political story always, always! becoming political. Yeah, I wish the media could ignore him. But this is what happens when we have disasters and the most powerful person on earth is an unchecked imbecile, and a climate change denier to-boot.

PostPosted: September 6 19, 9:04 am 
tl;dr

I talked to my brother last night since it was his birthday yesterday and we talked a bit about Dorian. He's in the Coast Guard stationed out of Miami. As of last Thursday evening it looked like the storm was heading straight for Miami so Friday morning the Coast Guard had them take their boat (weird to call something that big with a machine gun or two mounted on it a boat but they do) down to Key West. They were perfectly fine there of course.

What I found chilling is that he is the one that deals with the people at the docks when they go into a port for refueling and such so he has become friends with a few of the guys running things in different ports over the past year or so he's been stationed there. He said his guy that he always works with in Freeport texted him the other day asking if my brother new of any help coming and begging that somebody help them. It sounds terrible. My brother was saying that with the level of damage to housing, infrastructure, etc. they should probably just evacuate the island completely until they can rebuild everything because it is going to be a struggle to even handle the necessities for a really long time being isolated on an island.

PostPosted: September 6 19, 9:16 am 
Consider him admonished

Whoa boy that was/is interesting.

Evacuated Tuesday after work about 30 miles inland. Lost power there for about an hour, but otherwise no issues.

Today I am back to the hospital as we are full on, regular staffing, though I am one of the few docs actually in.

My house lost power early Wednesday morning and latest updates anticipate it coming back on around 11pm Sunday. A neighbor managed to go to my house and snap a picture. I large branch did get snapped and lean on the side of my house. The wind apparently blew it back and forth and it has rubbed all of the paint off of the siding. I do live in a flood zone, but looks like no flooding at my house (I'm about 300 yards as the crow flies from the harbor).

All in all, not very bad and I feel very lucky considering our brothers and sisters in the Bahamas.

Thanks to those who reached out.

PostPosted: September 6 19, 9:32 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Glad to hear you're ok!

PostPosted: September 6 19, 9:35 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Yep, thanks for checking in Tim