kayaks (and kayak carriers for a truck)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

kayaks (and kayak carriers for a truck)

Post by Fat Strat »

Any kayakers out there?

My 11 year old son and I are going to get a couple of kayaks this fall. I think I've settled on the one that I'm going to get. (http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Pescad ... n+pescador). I'm not buying it from Amazon for that price. I can get one at Academy for $450-%500. Rated pretty well by several sites for a starting fishing kayak.

I'm struggling with two questions.

1) What do I get for my son? It needs to be a bit cheaper and a bit smaller, so he can handle it himself. I want a sit-on fishing kayak. Probably a 10' and it doesn't have to be well equipped. Something to get him started for a few years until he's ready for a big one. Suggestions?

2) How should I carry these on my truck? Struggling to find some kind of rack system that I think would both work well and fit in my price range. I have a Silverado double cab. No luggage rails or anything like that on it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: kayaks (and kayak carriers for a truck)

Post by Freed Roger »

Watching this thread. Though the kid would rather get SUPs. She likes that she is way better at it than me. Popular so kind of expensive.

A canoe would be awesome too. Still, the transportation, storage, and time to make it all worth the investment have to be figured out. Need to borrow someone else's.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Freed Roger wrote:Watching this thread. Though the kid would rather get SUPs. She likes that she is way better at it than me. Popular so kind of expensive.

A canoe would be awesome too. Still, the transportation, storage, and time to make it all worth the investment have to be figured out. Need to borrow someone else's.
Yeah, it seems like kayaks and paddleboards have gotten really popular. Prices vary wildly on both products.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat Strat wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Watching this thread. Though the kid would rather get SUPs. She likes that she is way better at it than me. Popular so kind of expensive.

Yeah, it seems like kayaks and paddleboards have gotten really popular. Prices vary wildly on both products.
For tooling around pond on farm property he co-owns, My bro got a couple of cheap kayaks from menards-maybe 150. Probably a limited use, especially for fishing.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I am back to considering a SUP for my daughter, and kayak for myself. I see relatively inexpensive versions of both at Menards. For my purposes , that may work.

Storage & transportation though- I am hearing more about inflatable versions that have me curious.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Freed Roger wrote:I am back to considering a SUP for my daughter, and kayak for myself. I see relatively inexpensive versions of both at Menards. For my purposes , that may work.

Storage & transportation though- I am hearing more about inflatable versions that have me curious.
I ended up getting the kayak that I posted above at Academy. If I were you, I wouldn't waste money on a really cheap kayak just to get one. Spend just a little bit more and get something that will really work well for you. The Perception Pescador line -- 8', 10', 12' -- are excellent kayaks. I love mine. It's great. Got my son the 8' version and I think my wife can use it to.

A website like this could help you find the right one:
http://kayakcritic.net/fishing-kayak-re ... the-money/

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Too

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

What do you kayakers think about this one? It’s $$$ but seems to check the boxes plus REI so i get 15% back in dividend incl REI credit card plus 10% gift card so 25% to spend on more fun outdoor stuff.

https://paddling.com/gear/dagger-stratos-14-5-l-kayak/

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

This is informative. The reviews do tout it's versatility, which I'm assuming you'd want. I don't have a lot of personal experience - my first look was that it was too skinny and long to do Ozark streams, but on second thought, I'd bet it would work as well or better than a canoe there.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I watched that one. And the reviews are great. Almost certain i want a sit in.

Fat Strat?