Hurricane Dorian

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Hurricane Dorian

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Apparently Dorian has all but wiped out the island of Grand Bahamas (just north of Nassau) after arriving as a Cat 5 Hurricane and stalling over the island for a full day. The storm surge and 30 inches of rain have caused massive flooding and inundated half of the island or more with water. The wind took care of the rest. I think it set a record for strongest Atlantic hurricane to make landfall.

https://twitter.com/julmisjames/status/ ... elp-relief

The Abacos (just east of Grand Bahamas) were devastated as well.

The current death toll is at 5, but that number is expected to significantly rise now that crews are able to get out and conduct rescue missions.

Incredibly sad. If you think about it, we've talked about the economics of evacuating for hurricanes and how it would take a lot to leave your house, go somewhere, pay for the gas to get there, pay for the food, live in a hotel, etc. And, for residents of these islands, that cost would be increased exponentially due to having to fly to a new island and or country.

Going forward, Dorian is projected to re-strengthen a little bit as it is a currently a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane and continue up the coast. It isn't projected to make landfall, but it will create storm surges along with rain and wind all the way up the east coast. Charleston is a possibility for landfall as is North Carolina. Who knows at this point. Even if it dissipates and loses energy....the damage to the Bahamas will be incredibly costly.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by pioneer98 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Yeah I think most of the Bahamas are mostly flat and low lying areas. I saw a topo map of grand Bahamas and it’s elevation varies from sea level to +50 feet above sea level with the majority (apparently 70%) being below the storm surge which I think was around 23 feet.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

In America femas nfip has maps that predict the elevation of storm surges. And then things are built in accordance to those elevations I think. I don’t think the Bahamas has a corresponding agency and or insurance program. For instance you’d think if they did the international airport would have been built above that elevation which it obviously was not as the entire thing flooded. Or perhaps they do and the models or predictions did not account for such a powerful storm.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

The sorry POS in the Oval Office found yet another way to debase the Presidency. And violate Fed law.

Nice map, genius. Who needs The Onion? Satire is dead.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:The sorry POS in the Oval Office found yet another way to debase the Presidency. And violate Fed law.

Nice map, genius. Who needs The Onion? Satire is dead.
I just wish this POS would choke on a hamberder and die already. It's so [expletive] embarrassing. Everytime I see him do something like this I don't even hate him any more, I hate his followers more. If you hitch your horse to that guy you are a complete pile of [expletive].

What happened in the Bahamas is terrible. This storm was incredible. It went from a Cat one to Cat 4 over night. Then strong cat 5. I feel so bad for the people there I can't imagine losing everything and also wondering how many of your friends and neighbors died. What the heck do you do if you live there? It's not like there is anywhere to go.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Beware of political forum seepage.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I saw a bit of the news yesterday evening (I normally try to avoid it) and of course there was a reporter riding along with a helicopter crew rescuing people. The first bit showed a non-white girl pleading for help and to be rescued. Then after that he was interviewing people in the chopper as they were being rescued and it was all pretty, white people. If I remember correctly the rescue crew was from Customs and Border Patrol so it makes sense that they only rescued white people.