2020 Academy Award nominees

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

2020 Academy Award nominees

Post by mikechamp »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: 2020 Academy Award nominees

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Adam Sandler gets snubed but takes it in stride.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I watched this movie and I couldn't help thinking that Hopkins was too charismatic for the role he was playing; I love me some Anthony Hopkins though.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Biggest snubs IMO are
Uncut Gems for director
Uncut Gems for screenplay
Uncut Gems for actor
Uncut Gems for cinematography
Uncut Gems for sound
Uncut Gems for score
Little Women for director

That Zellwegger (who, jeez, did you see her speech at the Golden Globes?) can crap out a Judy Garland impersonation and get regaled for a movie no one saw and no one cares about (and not in a good way like how no one has seen Transit or The Souvenier) while Sandler is in virtually every shot of a film as good as Uncut Gems is a big big example of what's wrong with the Oscars. How much more money does Sandler need to fill into the pockets of studio execs?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

33anda3rd wrote:Biggest snubs IMO are
Uncut Gems for director
Uncut Gems for screenplay
Uncut Gems for actor
Uncut Gems for cinematography
Uncut Gems for sound
Uncut Gems for score
Little Women for director

That Zellwegger (who, jeez, did you see her speech at the Golden Globes?) can crap out a Judy Garland impersonation and get regaled for a movie no one saw and no one cares about (and not in a good way like how no one has seen Transit or The Souvenier) while Sandler is in virtually every shot of a film as good as Uncut Gems is a big big example of what's wrong with the Oscars. How much more money does Sandler need to fill into the pockets of studio execs?
Yup! I think the frantic pace and in your face nature of the movie was too much for the old academy voters. Based on their history they would rather nominate some [expletive] period piece. Which I could argue Uncut Gems was anyway.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

There's probably a lot about the Safdies style that doesn't play w/ Academy voters, that's a great point. Also populating the movie with so many non-actors isn't going to ingratiate you to Hollywood.

Gerwig not getting a nod for directing is just insane. From that view of movies as the closest thing we have to a time machine, due to their ability to sweep us to another time and place, only Little Women and Uncut Gems fully realized that as far as pics that we could reasonably expect to be nominated.

Really great to see Parasite get so much love. For all the anxiety of Uncut Gems...how do I put this without a spoiler...there's a moment, like an exact moment, in Parasite where the entire movie does a 180 and Bong is just so in control of what he's doing with the camera, the setting, the actors and the story that it's perfect, both the moment and the movie. If you guys have not seen Parasite I would HIGHLY suggest finding a place showing it near you and go, there's no way it's going to be nearly as good at home.