GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 19 19, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "Bless you" etiquette
PostPosted: September 11 19, 3:11 pm 
Perennial All-Star

New, young guy at work says "Bless you" every time someone sneezes. We're in an open-ish cubical area, such that we can have a conversation over the cube walls with 6-7 people. So if any of them sneezes, "Bless you". If someone has a cold/allergies and they sneeze 5 times in like 10 minutes, they get 5 bless yous. Kind of a mini-rant because it's a little obnoxiously kind.

What's the etiquette in this situation? Do you say "thank you" after each "bless you"? After what number of sneezes from a single person is it OK to stop saying "bless you"? For the record, I am not a "bless you" person unless I'm in conversation with that person already or they are my immediate neighbor. Even then, if they're just in the cube next to me, I might not say anything.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 6:49 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I think "bless you's" are one of the silliest things we still do. Nothing feels more awkward than sneezing, having 5 different people around you rush to be the first one to say "bless you", then getting the feeling that you need to send every one of them a personal thank you note.

I don't say "bless you". I don't thank people who bless me. I'm hoping people start understanding that I think the whole thing is dumb and they drop it.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 8:27 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

If someone sneezes multiple times; I usually say Knock it off! Is that the same as bless you?

PostPosted: September 12 19, 8:29 am 
99% conan clips

i'm in an open area with co-workers (for another week or so at least) but this has always been an "issue" for me as well. it's to the point where i intentionally stifle my sneeze to be as quiet as possible. i can appreciate the gesture but i find it all awkward.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 8:51 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
I've been conditioned to it my whole life, so much so that it's almost an automatic response when someone sneezes. One that I try to suppress when out in public but it often slips out before I even realize it. I really became aware when I blurted it out once after the kid coughed and she gave me crap about inappropriate application of a habitual phrase. My grandparents used to always say "gesundheit" which according to google translate is German for "health".

PostPosted: September 12 19, 9:11 am 
All-Star

If you don't say bless you the evil spirits will escape their nostrils and enter yours. But whatever. Live how and with whatever demons you like.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 9:18 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I am going to start saying "bless you" whenever someone audibly farts. That will be fun. Especially for urinal flatulence.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 9:26 am 
Perennial All-Star

I go through sneezing spells. Especially in the spring. My poor cube-neighbors. They started out trying to bless me most of the time. I immediately responded "Thanks. But I do this a lot. You don't need to bless me every time. You'll get nothing else done today!" LOL They don't bless me anymore.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 10:40 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Ask them not to put that voodoo on you.

PostPosted: September 12 19, 10:54 am 
just can't quit you.

My wife yells at me and tells me to stop being so annoying when I sneeze.