Ric Ocasek RIP

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Their debut album was a pretty fun ride.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by greenback44 »

I think I'm a bit younger than you, so for me it's Heartbeat City. I just about wore that cassette out. The Cars' keyboards and robo-percussions represent 1980s pop about as well as anybody, although obviously they were more successful than, say, Human League. That is to say, I'm embarrassed at most of the over-processed inside-the-toaster dreck I listened to back then, but for whatever reasons the Cars sound was distinct enough that I still won't skip their songs when they somehow show in my queue.

I read tonight that he and Paulina separated about two years ago. That doesn't... sound good. I hadn't realized Ocasek was 75, and she was twenty years younger, which makes the dot-connecting even more unpleasant.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

The Cars were a fixture of Top-40 radio for years, and what they did, they did very, very well. They weren't favorites of mine (they were a bit too slick for my taste), but I respected what they did--it was always listenable, memorable, well-performed, and well-produced. It's aged quite well.

Ocasek was also a very good producer of others' music. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' Rattlesnakes is one of my favorite albums of the 80's (Ocasek re-mixed some songs on that album). Ocasek produced albums for Romeo Void, Weezer, Nada Surf, Jonathan Richman, and Guided by Voices. He had a remarkable career.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/read ... k-age.html
It was just past 10 p.m. on Sunday when The New York Times sent out the alert: “Ric Ocasek, a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame artist and the lead singer of the Cars, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment,” the notification read. “He was 75.”

He was 75 … right?
It doesn't seem quite right that Ric Ocasek and Cokie Roberts were basically the same age.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Their debut album was a pretty fun ride.

Believe it or not, i had that album on 8 track. Might have been last 8 track ever made.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Their debut album was a pretty fun ride.

Believe it or not, i had that album on 8 track. Might have been last 8 track ever made.
That was 1978. Thru HS - had glove box 8 track player rocking April Wine -Harder Faster (1979) Foreigner 4 (1981), Triumph Allied Forces (1981)

....but The Cars album was still in the mix.