LOGGED OFF

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

M1IRONMIKE wrote:
jim wrote:I talked to Mike the other day and he is still having the problem. Mike - are you sure you have the box checked to keep you logged in between sessions?

If AOL is switching IP's on him midstream, that would be pretty bad. I'm not sure that there is anything to do about that.
Yes Jim I have clicked the little box......I think you folks are under the impression I am a Moron!!!!
We don't think that. Well, some of us don't think that.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

Tambourine Man wrote:When you log in, check this box. I'll bet you notice a difference.

Log me on automatically each visit:
i have the same problems as well

and that with checking the box

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Post by Dillagii »

Capt_Morgan wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:When you log in, check this box. I'll bet you notice a difference.

If you clear cookies, you will automatically get logged off.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

DiLLaGii wrote:
Capt_Morgan wrote:

If you clear cookies, you will automatically get logged off.
that just it

i don't

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

It may not be that you intentionally clear your cookies, it could be your security settings.

If you set your IE (or firefox) settings relatively high one of the security measures the browser takes is blocking out third party cookies (aka cookies that aren't signed and verified with microsoft). This website would fall under the catagory of third party cookie, and your browser may be blocking the website's attempt to store a cookie on your machine.

Also it could be that there is a cookie on your machine but it's currently corrupt, so when the site tries to write a cookie to your machine it doesn't overwrite the current setting, which isn't readable. In this case you'll have to either delete your cookies manually or wait until the cookie expires.

Or it could just be that this website hates you.

I know I occasionally get it to where I can't log-in on this computer, and i'm very knowlegable about cookies and how computers work with them and what not, and I still can't get it to work. Then one day it will start logging me in again. It's just quirky like that.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

TheoSqua wrote:It may not be that you intentionally clear your cookies, it could be your security settings.

If you set your IE (or firefox) settings relatively high one of the security measures the browser takes is blocking out third party cookies (aka cookies that aren't signed and verified with microsoft). This website would fall under the catagory of third party cookie, and your browser may be blocking the website's attempt to store a cookie on your machine.

Also it could be that there is a cookie on your machine but it's currently corrupt, so when the site tries to write a cookie to your machine it doesn't overwrite the current setting, which isn't readable. In this case you'll have to either delete your cookies manually or wait until the cookie expires.

Or it could just be that this website hates you.

I know I occasionally get it to where I can't log-in on this computer, and i'm very knowlegable about cookies and how computers work with them and what not, and I still can't get it to work. Then one day it will start logging me in again. It's just quirky like that.
make sense

how would you find a corrupt cookie

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Easiest way is to just delete all your cookies.

Tools --> Internet Options --> Delete Cookies.

Be warned if you do that it will remove ALL of your cookies, so accoutns you're currently auto-logged in to will be logged out. It's a good idea to periodically do this either way (i do it about once every 3 months.).

If you don't want to delete all of your cookies, there saved in a files. The default location for IE 6 is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies

Mind you there will prolly be several hundred files to go through to find the one you want, and it may be titled as a phpbb cookie and not even mention grb.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you set your browser not to accept cookies, you can't log in at all. Right?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

no, you can log-in because it stores your info on a server-side session. You wouldn't be able to remember your log-in once you close the browser and open up another one.