"NL Central comments" deceased

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: "NL Central comments" deceased

Post by Arthur Dent »

haltz wrote:FireJoeMorgan posts a big chunk of JoeChat every week. You'd think someone would've ripped them a new one for ripping them a new one if it were that big of a deal.
That's constitutionally protected parody, right? :P

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

It's my understanding that limited excepts for purposes of commentary are protected fair use. Wouldn't that mean that NL Central comments would be OK as long as each question answer bit was followed by some opinion? That appears to be what they do at FJM.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

In all honest I wouldn't even know who some of the commentators where if it weren't for mike. It could be seen as promotion - especially because they comments aren't presented in their complete form.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I completely understand where ESPN is coming from though. If they're going to the trouble of paying writers and charging for this stuff, I don't see why they should allow it to be distributed for free. Some companies make the decision that it's better for them not to enforce copyright because it helps draw interest in their product, but I don't think you can make that argument here. These chats are pretty specific to a certain group. It's also not like a newspaper where the content is already out there in relatively cheap print form.

I don't happen to think Insider is much of a product, but that's another issue.