"NL Central comments" deceased

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

"NL Central comments" deceased

Post by mikechamp »

For those of you wondering why I haven't posted them for Thursday, Friday or today, there's currently some research going on as to the legality of that "popular series" here on the board. (Thanks to Michael, G. Keenan and heyzeus for their assistance in this matter.)

When they are determined to be on the right side of the Law (as I think it will be found), I will "back-post" all the missed days. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

EDIT: I shouldn't have left out TFG. Thanks to him, too.
Last edited by mikechamp on October 2 07, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: "NL Central comments" temporarily suspended

Post by docellis »

Were you guys being proactive about the legal issue - or did someone contact you or GRB about the comments? Just being nosy.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

When has GRB ever been proactive? :wink:

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Michael wrote:When has GRB ever been proactive? :wink:
Did you mean productive?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Well, we have the verdict..... and it ain't good.
"The short answer is that posting anything written by someone else is a violation of that person's copyrights (even if they are not yet federally registered with the US Copyright office, a common law copyright exists the instant that the material exists in a tangible medium including computer memory). Fair Use is EXTREMELY limited, primarily to educational uses and parodies, from what I know. My advice to your friend would be that he require that people just post a link to the original URL that they would otherwise copy from. VERY limited excerpts may be ok, but better safe than sorry."
That is courtesy of an IP lawyer/friend of heyzeus.

My thanks to heyzeus for tracking down the answer, even though it's not the one I thought it would be and I don't completely understand/agree with it.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is the end of the NL Central comments (unless someone else knows a lawyer who knows a loophole). I'm glad I was able to provide it for as long as I did, and I hope you enjoyed them. I know I'll miss 'em.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

That stinks, Mike. We can still post the links though? The funny thing about this is heyzeus had to tell one of his co-workers about his GRB fetish.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

mikechamp wrote:Well, we have the verdict..... and it ain't good.
"The short answer is that posting anything written by someone else is a violation of that person's copyrights (even if they are not yet federally registered with the US Copyright office, a common law copyright exists the instant that the material exists in a tangible medium including computer memory). Fair Use is EXTREMELY limited, primarily to educational uses and parodies, from what I know. My advice to your friend would be that he require that people just post a link to the original URL that they would otherwise copy from. VERY limited excerpts may be ok, but better safe than sorry."
That is courtesy of an IP lawyer/friend of heyzeus.

My thanks to heyzeus for tracking down the answer, even though it's not the one I thought it would be and I don't completely understand/agree with it.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is the end of the NL Central comments (unless someone else knows a lawyer who knows a loophole). I'm glad I was able to provide it for as long as I did, and I hope you enjoyed them. I know I'll miss 'em.
It'll be more work, but I guess you could paraphrase the comments (along with the link). They're great threads to have.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

planet pujolsian wrote:That stinks, Mike. We can still post the links though? The funny thing about this is heyzeus had to tell one of his co-workers about his GRB fetish.
Well, I'm not sure what heyzeus said to his friend (initially). He can answer that.

But posting the links is almost pointless, as one can't access it unless they pay for ESPN Insider. By clicking on the link, a non-payer would be able to see the 1st Q&A and that's it.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

RC21 wrote:It'll be more work, but I guess you could paraphrase the comments (along with the link). They're great threads to have.
I thought about that. I'm open to the idea, as I agree they are great threads to have.

My only question is: Now that we know the line on quoting, where is the line on paraphrasing?

And like I've mentioned to a couple people privately, how does Jeff Gordon get away with quoting various writers in his daily "Tipsheet" column on stltoday.com?

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Re: "NL Central comments" deceased

Post by Dillagii »

I am bummed that I wont be able to see Steve Philips and Joe Morgan Central comments anymore :(