Partnering with a Cardinals blog

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Partnering with a Cardinals blog

Post by maddash »

Not sure how well a column by committee would work, but it would be nice to take advantage of our resource of knowledgeable baseball fans and post an occasional column at a blog like Viva El Birdos.

I see it working as something like this:
We first create a template to be used for all column entries. I'm thinking of a point-counterpoint style where posters take sides on an issue and state their case. A brief paragraph to introduce the subject, the best posts in favor or against making up the body, and then a brief paragraph that wraps everything up. We would appoint an "editor" (either permanent or rotating) to take the collection of posts and work it into a readable column body. Once we lay that groundwork down, we won't have to touch it for awhile. Next we decide on a subject. Anything ranging from generic topics like, when to hit and run, to more team specific subjects like, who should close for the Cards in '09. We'll throw a new subject out every week (or however often we want to post) and allow posters to discuss in a point-counterpoint style. The editor then incorporates those posts as described above.

Pros
I'm sure the blog would be thankful for some extra content
It would drive membership to the site
It would increase participation on the baseball forum

Cons
We'd be restricted to a template style of writing
An editor would have to volunteer his or her time to turn individual posts into readable content
Leroy

Something to think about.

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Re: Partnering with a Cardinals blog

Post by StatmanCrothers »

or we could have an entire forum where we could post at will. wheat amongst the chaff? sift, baby, sift!.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm up for it, but I tried this before without much success. I don't really want a main page, but it'd be cool to have a sister site. You know, something like GRBlog.com.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Michael wrote: You know, something like GRBlog.com.
How creative.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

maddash wrote: Cons

Leroy
And I was gonna volunteer.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Leroy wrote:
maddash wrote: Cons

Leroy
And I was gonna volunteer.
And put your Madoff training to good use, no doubt.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I always think it'd be fun to do, then I realize that writing a creative blog is way harder than it seems

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

TheoSqua wrote:I always think it'd be fun to do, then I realize that writing a creative blog is way harder than it seems
we'd need to make sure that after we put a bunch of posts on it, the blog didn't suddenly just quit working. :wink:

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

What if, instead of creating a front-page sort of Blog or partnering with another blog we just create a sub-forum for Baseball Talk that's called Baseball Blogs and is designed for more article oriented posts.

I think we already have the member base and the writing talent, we would just need to get people motivated to make good posts and follow them up with comments.

We really don't even need a new forum for it, we could just start making more article-like posts on the baseball talk forum.

A good example is the Breakout Season thread. If anyone of us had spent more than 5 minutes on that thread and actually written our thoughts a bit more in depth it could easily have been a blog post.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

As many of our potential bloggers learned last time around, having a blog sounds like a great idea until you have to actually think of something to write on a regular basis.

If someone, or a team of someones (I think this is a better approach) wanted to do it right, I think it'd be a great addition.