phpBB for mobile devices

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

phpBB for mobile devices

Post by maddash »

Is there any plugin out there that would make using the forum on a mobile device (like an iPhone) easier? Like a "style" that automatically loads when a mobile browser is detected?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: phpBB for mobile devices

Post by TheoSqua »

Styles are applied after the initial server objects are loaded, so i don't think you'd be able to just create a style.

What a developer could do is check for the browser type before the objects load, and change the values of objects before they process. Something like overriding the style.

Even then, there should be enough styles that are basic enough that most mobile browsers can crop the site to fit the mobile browser.

What skin do you use and with what phone/browser?

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

I'm using prosilver on my iPhone. It works ok, but shrinking everything down can become cumbersome. I'd rather just have a stripped down version of the forum that makes viewing and posting easier.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

maddash wrote:I'm using prosilver on my iPhone. It works ok, but shrinking everything down can become cumbersome. I'd rather just have a stripped down version of the forum that makes viewing and posting easier.
I use the old version (whatever that one's called), and I turn off all images and avatars in my settings. Really cuts down on load time. Especially cutting out those 50mb animated gifs that some peeps put in their sigs.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Popeye_Card wrote:
maddash wrote:I'm using prosilver on my iPhone. It works ok, but shrinking everything down can become cumbersome. I'd rather just have a stripped down version of the forum that makes viewing and posting easier.
I use the old version (whatever that one's called), and I turn off all images and avatars in my settings. Really cuts down on load time. Especially cutting out those 50mb animated gifs that some peeps put in their sigs.
What a killjoy.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I don't know of a plugin. Prosilver is suppose to be the best.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
yeah, those jerks

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I dunno about iphone but w/ my blackberry as well as with my prior phones Opera Mini browser has worked much better than the integrated browser.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

it's odd, sometimes my iphone loads grb without any problems. Other times it won't load it at all.

I've decided it's Michael's fault.