Language and etc.

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Re: Language and etc.

Post by PujolJunkie »

cardsfansince82 wrote:There's over 1000 members here and to my knowledge there is one that is under 18. Actually two...I forgot PJ. Maybe the cursing gets out of hand at times but there is a filter and all that can be read is "expletive" which shouldn't be offensive at all.
I'm 19 and besides that, I'm pretty sure I'm as guilty of this as much as anyone else.

What we need is a word filter.

Maybe we should have one installed.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

PujolJunkie wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:There's over 1000 members here and to my knowledge there is one that is under 18. Actually two...I forgot PJ. Maybe the cursing gets out of hand at times but there is a filter and all that can be read is "expletive" which shouldn't be offensive at all.
I'm 19 and besides that, I'm pretty sure I'm as guilty of this as much as anyone else.

You mean one that would say "expletive" instead of show the curse word? That would be neat.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I know how old you are PJ, I was just joking.

Stuff like "[expletive] you Schumacher" doesn't really add anything to the discussion. If the argument is that people should think twice before posting stuff like that in the future, I would agree. But I would disagree that cuss words that are filtered into the word expletive need to go away altogether. We're all adults here and there is no mythical "kid who needs an example set for him". Reading "expletive" is extremely tame compared to what you can read on a million other websites, see on TV, hear in music, hear/use in everyday life. It's up to you what word you substitute for expletive in your head. Try puppies or something.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.
Arthur Dent wrote:I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.

Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

I appreciate all the feedback. Let me know if there's any suggestions!

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

docellis wrote:
PujolJunkie wrote:

You mean one that would say "expletive" instead of show the curse word? That would be neat.
That's almost perfect.
cardsfansince82 wrote:I know how old you are PJ, I was just joking.

Stuff like "[expletive] you Schumacher" doesn't really add anything to the discussion. If the argument is that people should think twice before posting stuff like that in the future, I would agree. But I would disagree that cuss words that are filtered into the word expletive need to go away altogether. We're all adults here and there is no mythical "kid who needs an example set for him". Reading "expletive" is extremely tame compared to what you can read on a million other websites, see on TV, hear in music, hear/use in everyday life. It's up to you what word you substitute for expletive in your head. Try puppies or something.
I was pretty sure you were but my playground rep is something I have to protect.

I think it's few and far between that you actually see someone specifically expletive toward a player on the team. I've seen people say things like "Damnit Ankiel" or say something to the effect of "Come the F on Ankiel" but very rarely, unless it's in flashchat where we all just go absolutely nuts, do I see anyone say anything like "F you Schumaker," although I did see that in the GDT for tonight's game.

I guess my point is, if you seriously want to see people take it overboard, go over to http://www.DodgerBlues.com and look at their board. Every single post (I'm not kidding) contains the F word, a variant or something worse. Even NSBB is worse than us in that department. For the most part, we're a tame and mature bunch when it comes to baseball discussions. And even most of the discussions in Social. I don't think there's many (repeat: many, not any) mature adults on this forum who can say that the the word "expletive" just makes them feel terrible. I think the word filter does that perfectly.

And for the record, I don't care whether you're speaking in *real time* or *typing things out*, things can be said in the heat of the moment no matter the situation. I've done it a million times on here and many other places. Last time I checked, the heat of the moment wasn't just a song by ASIA nor did it have to be held down to any situation. It's just a case of being in a certain mood and saying things off the cuff.

JohnDoolittle
Veteran Player

Post by JohnDoolittle »

Jmodene wrote:I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but it seems to me that we're getting way out of line in our use of profanity and scatalogical references in the threads lately. I'm getting a little tired, reading game threads, of seeing such pearls of wisdom as "(expletive) you Schumaker", etc.

I think we need to remember that kids do visit this site and we need to really watch what we're saying.

And lest one wants to argue that these things are being said in the heat of the moment - well, if we were really speaking in real-time, perhaps - but these utterances are being *typed* out.

A little discretion, please.
Point well taken. Hope your reference to the problem does help with this. I've tried to keep it clean and never post during game threads. Self control is good stuff.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'd like to say that jmodene has made
a solid point, but need to add that I,
sighyoung, have wished for oh so many nights
that GatewayRedbirds members tried to post
in Shakespearean blank verse. Now, such change
would render strange our stat and trade debates,
but lo! like disillusioned Lear across
the venerable Stratford-on-Avon stage,
our shouts of VORP and HORP and OPS
would howl like winds of holy pestilence--
sound and fury, yes, but still the haunted
ragings of beer-maddened, libidinous
puds transformed to Ruskinesque sibilance.

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

I guess I just fail to see where the word expletive is in any way offensive. I guess there's suggestion there. But at last check, anybody can just type [expletive] and they'd never even have to really cuss. Would someone just typing out [expletive] be less offensive than someone cussing and having it filtered?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

PujolJunkie wrote:I guess my point is, if you seriously want to see people take it overboard, go over to http://www.DodgerBlues.com and look at their board. Every single post (I'm not kidding) contains the F word, a variant or something worse.

Just because X is worse than Y doesn't make an excessive use of Y any less irritating. I like DB, but our culture is very different. :wink:

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

PujolJunkie wrote:I guess I just fail to see where the word expletive is in any way offensive. I guess there's suggestion there. But at last check, anybody can just type [expletive] and they'd never even have to really cuss. Would someone just typing out [expletive] be less offensive than someone cussing and having it filtered?
usually it's pretty clear word is intended by the context. I don't even read "expletive." Your brain translates it. Mine does anyway.

I don't think saying "look at Dodger Blues" helps your case out very much. I like to peek over there, but they photoshopped poop over someone's head on the main page last week.