Language and etc.

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Language and etc.

Post by Leroy »

I got turrets.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cards2468 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).
I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.
I guess it depends on which words you're talking about. To me (and I'm wrong quite often), the "F" word and the "S" word are just vulgar in any context, because of the root meaning of those words. I slip up and use them from time to time (and like Popeye, I'm a little embarrassed when I do use them), but I certainly have enough restraint to not want to take the extra time to type them out.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).
I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.
I guess it depends on which words you're talking about. To me (and I'm wrong quite often), the "F" word and the "S" word are just vulgar in any context, because of the root meaning of those words. I slip up and use them from time to time (and like Popeye, I'm a little embarrassed when I do use them), but I certainly have enough restraint to not want to take the extra time to type them out.
Fornication Under Consent of King
Ship High In Transit

I don't really see vulgar meaning to them.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cards2468 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Fornication Under Consent of King
Ship High In Transit

I don't really see vulgar meaning to them.
Clever. :wink:

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Leroy wrote:I got turrets.

Rook.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

All I really want to say is that we should not stop cursing for the sake of children. Children really should not be at this site, but regardless of that, children unsupervised will see much worse that "expletive" here at this site.

I agree that swearing excessively without a valid reason can sort of....make you question a posters ability to express himself...but I don't think that is excessive here.

That said, I agree with ghostrunner that at times during the season I did not bother reading game threads because they were ridiculous.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

If there was a button to hide the filter client-side, I'd use it.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Maclowery wrote:If there was a button to hide the filter client-side, I'd use it.
++

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I would actually be pretty interested to see some of the more creative curse word phrases this group could come up with instead of seeing [expletive] [expletive] in the [expletive] [expletive].

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

clevername wrote:I would actually be pretty interested to see some of the more creative curse word phrases this group could come up with instead of seeing [expletive] [expletive] in the [expletive] [expletive].
When it started we were all about word replacement but they became a distraction.