Language and etc.

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Language and etc.

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

[radio-edit]

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Michael wrote:I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.
Arthur Dent wrote:I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.

Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

I appreciate all the feedback. Let me know if there's any suggestions!
says the man with a naughty word in his sig. :wink:

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.
That is pretty much why I let it fly. I cuss like a sailor in real life,, and with the filter it allows me to "say" things without worrying about it.

But I'll try to check it, jmodene is a poster I respect a great deal and I will certainly try to do my part cut down on this regardless of the filtering in place.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.

Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

Hah, yeah. I think occasional swearing is fine, but excessive swearing is irritating. :wink:

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Michael wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:

Hah, yeah. I think occasional swearing is fine, but excessive swearing is irritating. :wink:
Yea, these [expletive] need to stop swearing so much.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think the filter is a great idea, but I'd feel goofy if my posts were littered with "[expletive]". Like I couldn't control myself, so the board had to control my emotions for me (sort of like an incontinence problem). I'd just as soon express myself using mannerly language as opposed to having the board babysit me.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Socnorb11 wrote:I think the filter is a great idea, but I'd feel goofy if my posts were littered with "[expletive]". Like I couldn't control myself, so the board had to control my emotions for me (sort of like an incontinence problem). I'd just as soon express myself using mannerly language as opposed to having the board babysit me.

[I don't think he knows yet, shhh...nobody tell him.]

longhornbaseball
Perennial All-Star

Post by longhornbaseball »

[expletive] piss [expletive] [expletive] [expletive] mother [expletive] piss fart turd its what? I [expletive] your mom.

[/youtube]

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Popeye_Card wrote:I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).
I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.