GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 18 18, 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 4 09, 10:25 pm 
Online
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 22347
Location: Raptured
[radio-edit]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 7:03 am 
Offline
Hallelujah Brother
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Posts: 12442
Michael wrote:
I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.

Arthur Dent wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.



Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

I appreciate all the feedback. Let me know if there's any suggestions!


says the man with a naughty word in his sig. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 7:14 am 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
Arthur Dent wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.


That is pretty much why I let it fly. I cuss like a sailor in real life,, and with the filter it allows me to "say" things without worrying about it.

But I'll try to check it, jmodene is a poster I respect a great deal and I will certainly try to do my part cut down on this regardless of the filtering in place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 7:40 am 
Online
has a link from 538 to share
User avatar

Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Posts: 34375
Location: Chicago, IL
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.

Arthur Dent wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.



Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

I appreciate all the feedback. Let me know if there's any suggestions!


says the man with a naughty word in his sig. :wink:



Hah, yeah. I think occasional swearing is fine, but excessive swearing is irritating. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 2:23 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Posts: 14759
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Michael wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
I understand swearing occasionally, but IMO excessive swearing reflects poorly on the user. Overall we try to keep things PG-13 around here and the word filter helps us achieve that goal.

Arthur Dent wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that cussing has gone way up since the implementation of the language filter.



Perhaps, but keep in mind I was editing quite a few posts so you weren't seeing everything. :wink:

I appreciate all the feedback. Let me know if there's any suggestions!


says the man with a naughty word in his sig. :wink:



Hah, yeah. I think occasional swearing is fine, but excessive swearing is irritating. :wink:

Yea, these [expletive] need to stop swearing so much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 6:10 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 18715
I think the filter is a great idea, but I'd feel goofy if my posts were littered with "[expletive]". Like I couldn't control myself, so the board had to control my emotions for me (sort of like an incontinence problem). I'd just as soon express myself using mannerly language as opposed to having the board babysit me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 5 09, 7:29 pm 
Offline
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm
Posts: 15017
Socnorb11 wrote:
I think the filter is a great idea, but I'd feel goofy if my posts were littered with "[expletive]". Like I couldn't control myself, so the board had to control my emotions for me (sort of like an incontinence problem). I'd just as soon express myself using mannerly language as opposed to having the board babysit me.



[I don't think he knows yet, shhh...nobody tell him.]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 7 09, 3:21 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 10:37 pm
Posts: 5534
[expletive] piss [expletive] [expletive] [expletive] mother [expletive] piss fart turd its what? I [expletive] your mom.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4OFXh6CNM][/youtube]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 7 09, 5:30 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 26156
I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 7 09, 7:10 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Posts: 14759
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Popeye_Card wrote:
I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).

I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group