GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 12 19, 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Language and etc.
PostPosted: August 7 09, 8:02 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
I got turrets.

PostPosted: August 7 09, 9:12 am 
The Last Word

cards2468 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).

I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.

I guess it depends on which words you're talking about. To me (and I'm wrong quite often), the "F" word and the "S" word are just vulgar in any context, because of the root meaning of those words. I slip up and use them from time to time (and like Popeye, I'm a little embarrassed when I do use them), but I certainly have enough restraint to not want to take the extra time to type them out.

PostPosted: August 7 09, 9:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

Socnorb11 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I pretty much agree with ghost. I'm not interested in protecting the kids--I started cursing heavily myself at the age of 10 or so. Its more about the maturity--or rather lack thereof--that heavy cursing shows. I'm embarrased for myself when I go down that path (alcohol usually leads me there, or hanging out with old friends).

I think there are ways to use cursing in a way that's not immature. I still believe it's part of the english language, and as long as it's not putting down an individual or group of people, it's perfectly acceptable. What's the point in shielding children from cuss words? Teach them the use and situations in which it is acceptable and not acceptable, and help your kids mature to the point that they don't use the words continuously around friends after they learn what they are from some older kids.

I guess it depends on which words you're talking about. To me (and I'm wrong quite often), the "F" word and the "S" word are just vulgar in any context, because of the root meaning of those words. I slip up and use them from time to time (and like Popeye, I'm a little embarrassed when I do use them), but I certainly have enough restraint to not want to take the extra time to type them out.

Fornication Under Consent of King
Ship High In Transit

I don't really see vulgar meaning to them.

PostPosted: August 7 09, 9:26 am 
The Last Word

cards2468 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

Fornication Under Consent of King
Ship High In Transit

I don't really see vulgar meaning to them.

Clever. :wink:

PostPosted: August 7 09, 3:34 pm 
Mayor of GRB

Leroy wrote:
I got turrets.

Rook.

PostPosted: August 8 09, 9:35 pm 
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

All I really want to say is that we should not stop cursing for the sake of children. Children really should not be at this site, but regardless of that, children unsupervised will see much worse that "expletive" here at this site.

I agree that swearing excessively without a valid reason can sort of....make you question a posters ability to express himself...but I don't think that is excessive here.

That said, I agree with ghostrunner that at times during the season I did not bother reading game threads because they were ridiculous.

PostPosted: August 16 09, 11:52 am 
Child Pot Activist

If there was a button to hide the filter client-side, I'd use it.

PostPosted: August 16 09, 11:54 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Maclowery wrote:
If there was a button to hide the filter client-side, I'd use it.

++

PostPosted: August 16 09, 12:09 pm 
Bringer of FRBG

I would actually be pretty interested to see some of the more creative curse word phrases this group could come up with instead of seeing [expletive] [expletive] in the [expletive] [expletive].

PostPosted: August 17 09, 9:21 am 
bronoun enthusiast

clevername wrote:
I would actually be pretty interested to see some of the more creative curse word phrases this group could come up with instead of seeing [expletive] [expletive] in the [expletive] [expletive].

When it started we were all about word replacement but they became a distraction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next