RANT - The Ferguson Thread

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Molly
Perennial All-Star

RANT - The Ferguson Thread

Post by Molly »

277 pages of people rehashing all the same opinions over and over and over. No one listening to or changing anyone else's opinion of the situation. Maybe it's time to lock it Michael.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: RANT - The Ferguson Thread

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I agree.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

but i was just a few posts away from changing everybody's opinion...

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

This is a specious thread. The Ferguson thread is at a stalemate waiting for more information that should have already been released. And actually, there has been some changing of minds, it is subtle but there.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

slide_into_first wrote:This is a specious thread. The Ferguson thread is at a stalemate waiting for more information that should have already been released. And actually, there has been some changing of minds, it is subtle but there.
++

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I agree with Slide.

I can understand if people are tired of it, or if things really degenerate, but this is one of the most significant events in recent St. Louis history, and it has yet to conclude.

Additionally, I've found this forum to be a lot more mature than other sites precisely because people could negotiate among a variety of threads--and because many different people contribute to the thread, not simply people with vested interests in a single agenda. If you create a separate Current Affairs section, you'd get more trolling, not less. I will use stltoday.com as exhibit A, and the defense rests.

I may be alone--and mostly, I sit back and listen rather than take a lead in discussions--but, for instance, I've tried to listen carefully to a variety of voices in the thread, including Malin's, TGantz's, and BW23's, among many, many others (and I mean all of you--not just these three). These voices, if you notice, are not repetitive, come from very different cultural vantage points, and often shade and complicate their arguments over time. Even if the thread goes away, I've learned a great deal, and realize how much more I have to learn.

More troubling, I think some folks just don't want to talk about subjects that have long been toxic in St. Louis. I don't see, as a forum often devoted to St. Louis topics, how one could avoid them. I couldn't when I grew up there.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I am probably very annoying in that thread. But that thread does console me and give me a little hope.

When you read PD comments you see 95% hatred and judgement and sometimes violent hatred.

Seeing all of use who contribute to that thread give and take, rebut, refute, rethink....it makes me think we aren't such a bad city/group after all. If you read the PD comments (which, I agree, is stupid of me) you'd think the world was a much worse place than if you read the Ferguson thread here.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

I think today a few of us may have gotten heated and reverted back to some immature conversation, but as a whole, it's been a pretty decent discussion.

I'd still grab a beer with 82, Jocephus, or doc. Invite me to the next event. I absolutely hate some of my friend's political views, but that doesn't define someone as a person. We still may get heated and use snide remarks, but that's why a lot of people avoid political discussion.

I'm just not sure I understand the difference between ignoring an entire sub-forum that's on the front of the website instead of ignoring one thread in a sub-forum where most of it might interest the average reader. I can't stand financial discussions, so I stay out of that thread.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

If we were going to just vote for threads we want to avoid seeing: Start VIDEO GAME subforum or a GOLF subforum :)