New Twitter Functionality

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: New Twitter Functionality

Post by Hoot45 »

Schlich wrote:I also like seeing what's going on around the ballpark.
You should sign up for Twitter.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Schlich wrote:gobirds, I have a question. And that is, do you work in Communist China?

Also, Fan has always filled in the threads with pre-game fluff regardless of twitter/no twitter, it's not like too much convo is happening at that point anyways. I also like seeing what's going on around the ballpark.
I don't think you understand how it looks when damn near all external content is blocked at work. Personally, I also enjoy how FF runs the GDTs. And up until Twitter functionality became embedded, I had no issues. In fact, initially I had no issues either because I didn't move to Minnesota and start my new job until the beginning of November. So mid-October when I was at my old job (when Twitter embedding on GRB became a thing) I was able to view everything fine. Obviously, in the evening when I'm browsing GRB at home I'm able to view everything.

I took a couple screenshots and then uploaded them to PhotoBucket so you can get an idea of what it appears when I'm at work. I zoomed way out so you could get a better handle of multiple posts. Sidenote: this was a huge pain in the ass because PhotoBucket is also blocked at work, so I had to email the photos to my personal gmail account, log onto PhotoBucket on my phone and manually upload them, then copy/paste the links to an email to my work email so I could link them here (obviously this post is way too long to type from a phone).
[SHOW]
So yeah, when I'm on a break at work at browsing GRB, or being a [expletive] employee and browsing GRB when I'm not on a break, 75% of all posts are pretty much worthless.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i mentioned above that while deadspin's embedded tweets aren't blocked, but stripped down to basically the text version of the tweet (of course any media is blocked), but the site is still functional.

Im not familiar with phpBB and have only dabbled in web design so im not sure if the coding can be tweaked to mirror what deadspin does or not.

basically the site functions very similar to when a post gets deleted, when opening a topic with embedded tweets.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

it'd be cool if there was a block tweet, block youtube, etc. i know you can block images...or maybe its just avatars and signatures. a little more customization would be cool though.

on the other hand, i like what FF brings and i dont feel comfortable telling him how he should post/operate since he does so much work before the game starts too. sometimes i can get annoyed by it, if i'm refreshing often to see new posts during some juicy action and it stalls a little but otherwise its not a big deal for me. i can see why it might for others though.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Twitter is blocked for me at work too, but posts on GRB with embedded tweets don't seem to impede the functionality of the site as a whole for me at all, they're just blank posts.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I usually like the embedded tweets when used appropriately. They are often relevant, give credit to authors, and advance conversation. But sorting through multiple pages of loosely related tweets without any point/commentary? That's literally what Twitter is for.

I don't want to be over here telling anyone how to use a message board. Just wondering if there is a way I can block it myself, which, it sounds like there is not.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

redbirdjazzz wrote:Twitter is blocked for me at work too, but posts on GRB with embedded tweets don't seem to impede the functionality of the site as a whole for me at all, they're just blank posts.
Correct. The site and everything runs fine - you just have a bunch of blank posts so you have literally no idea what is going on because you can't see what people are talking about or posting. That's all go birds and I are saying.

Somehow Deadspin has their site coded so that tweets aren't fully embedded and therefore aren't blocked. That's what we were asking Michael and Co. if it would be possible to do here on GRB. If it's not possible, that's fine. But if it is possible, then it would be a very welcome addition for a few of us.

I'll reiterate again that I completely support everything FF and the others do on the GDTs. I sincerely appreciate that they are able to give damn near constant real-time updates literally all of the time throughout the day. In no way am I asking that they stop doing this or providing the info. Just asking the big wigs if there's a way to make it easier for some of us to see it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

^^yep all that

i even made it a point to send FF a message letting him know that i didnt have an issue with the posting of tweets.

the issue is the functionality of the board. i'd like to add that, not only are the posts blank, but as i mentioned, the board functions as if a post is being deleted (delayed) when a thread with embedded tweets are opened--does that not happen to anyone else affected by the tweets?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Swirls wrote:I sincerely appreciate that they are able to give damn near constant real-time updates literally all of the time throughout the day.
lol seriously, you should check Twitter out.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Hoot45 wrote:
Swirls wrote:I sincerely appreciate that they are able to give damn near constant real-time updates literally all of the time throughout the day.
lol seriously, you should check Twitter out.
No.